Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

I have a question about cloud services and Dropbox. Can you shed some light?

New member | Level 2

Other clouds now give me two options:  
Is it the same with Dropbox?

1.  Purchase more space.

2.  Delete files in to create more space, but then the files are also permanently deleted on my computer and phone.  (This happened with OneCloud.) 

That leaves little choice for important files.

3.  How do I ensure that files are NOT auto uploaded to Dropbox, or is that not an option anyway?  When I want to delete a shared file, can I then delete it from Dropbox without losing it on my computer?  

--------

I read a response that said Dropbox is not a "cloud backup" of data; syncing is it's function (not the same thing as sharing).  So, if I sync via Dropbox, does the receiver have access to change my "hard drive" file, or are they changing the one in Dropbox?

I apologize for what I suspect are elementary questions.  But now retired, I have noone in an office to annoy with, "Got a minute?"   

Tags (1)
4 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Clouds vs Dropbox

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @JayAllen,

It's normal little confusion when a person start using something for the first time. winking face

Like in any other service, you can buy suitable amount of space or use free account (while enough and for test, for example). Dropbox service take care to keep in sync the data in corresponding Dropbox directory on every one machine connected to the account and (of course) the cloud content. In this context deleting a file/folder in Dropbox directory will affect the cloud content and recursively all other connected devices. Doing the same thing outside Dropbox directory don't affect in any way the service. If you want to remove particular file/folder from the cloud (also other devices), just move corresponding content outside the Dropbox dir. winking face

Dropbox service (and many others) is primarily sync service, so you can use it as backup as much as such functionality are available (around syncing), but this is not primary functionality. That's it.

Hope this helps to some extent.

New member | Level 2

Yes, thank you for responding.  It's a start.  slightly smiling face

1.  If others are editing a Dropbox file, does it affect the same file on my hard drive?

2.  If I delete files from Dropbox, do they remain stored on my hard drive?

3.  If I post to Dropbox, will the files be discovered and synced to other clouds?

(If Dropbox and clouds do sync, then when I delete a file, I worry that the other clouds may delete it both on their server and my hard drive.)

---

Why I'm confused ,,,

Last night, before bed, I began moving 5 GB of files from OneCloud to my older backup/storage computer.  Seemed simple.

This morning, I discovered that OneCloud also downloaded the files to my phone and active desktop, overloading available memory. So now I need to clear the phone and desktop without losing everything.  But not your problem.  I'll get with each cloud service.  

So, I'm starting with Dropbox to know the rules.   I am attempting to do this by reading previous posts, but if someone can answer the above questions, that would be a great help.

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Hi @JayAllen,

1- While it's connected to the same account or the file is inside a shared folder (between accounts), Yes. In any other case, No.

2- As I already noted above - any change inside Dropbox directory affect your account content, so... No (files are removed). As also was noted if you mean delete as removed from the directory, but not entirely deleted, then Yes (files stay where you put them). [Edit: Sorry, I revert the logic confounded face]

3- I'm not sure what exactly you mean! Dropbox is cloud service and every one file, in this context, is stored inside the Dropbox cloud. What exactly happens with other such services, you use: probably depends on corresponding services (from one side) and exactly what you are doing.

For the rest: again, Dropbox (and not only) is sync service and if you add something, it will appear in every one device (if not explicitly restricted - selective sync, for example). On the mobile devices, the content is virtual and stay so until explicitly you do something else (download or set as available offline).

Hope this cast additional light.

New member | Level 2

Yes.   Especially the last one about seeing virtual access - I assumed it had downloaded, chewing up space.   Thank you.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I have a question about cloud services and Dropbox. Can you shed some light?
4 Replies
2 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey