Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I have an issue with Dropbox and Word Online's recent list. Any ideas?

Explorer | Level 3

Word files saved in DROPBOX, once opened in WORD ONLINE directly from the DROPBOX site, they cannot be removed afterwards from the WORD ONLINE RECENT LIST. Any solution to that?

4 Replies

Re: DROPBOX and WORD ONLINE Recent list

Dropboxer

Hey there @Mountain40  - sorry to hear about this.

I'm not sure if you've tried this already but could you clear your browser's cache and let me know if you're still noticing the same behavior?

If you do, can you try to reproduce this on another browser or an incognito window with no browser extensions or plugins running? 

If you get the same results, please forward me a screenshot so I can investigate further. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your prompt reply.

It is a design issue I think.

Word files saved in DROPBOX, once opened in WORD ONLINE directly from the DROPBOX site, they cannot be removed afterwards from the WORD ONLINE RECENT LIST, because to do so you have to open them from the Word App.

But Word App can only open files with path C:\USER\DROPBOX or similar path, not with DROPBOX:\HOME.

2019-06-03 (2)_LI.jpg

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional information @Mountain40 - most appreciated!

As this comes from Word itself, I'd suggest checking with Microsoft directly too.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do from my end to assist in the meantime please. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I contacted Microsoft already, but they were unable to find a solution.

It is a Dropbox issue as well.

Because, if I were able to open the file from the Dropbox site directly with the word app and not only with word online, as now permitted, I could also remove it from the word online recent list.

Specifically, as you may know the only way to clear the recent files of word online is by clearing them from the word app recent files list.
To do that, the recent file should be opened in word app from the exact same file location (path) as the one from which it had been opened in word online.

Unfortunately, Dropbox allows to open a word file only with word online.
The only way to open it with word app is to download it first.
However, this way the path changes from DROPBOX\... to C:\User\...
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I have an issue with Dropbox and Word Online's recent list. Any ideas?
4 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post