Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I have an issue with a shared folder of mine. Any ideas?

New member | Level 2

Good Day
I have been checking the folders that I have shared with my colleagues in Dropbox business, and whilst checking the members of one particular folder, I noticed that the admin person is myself however it has used my personal email address, whilst I have access with my work address I do not have the admin rights. If I try editing the control of this folder it says I don’t have the permission to do so. However, if I then switch to my Personal Drop Box account, I don’t see this shared folder in my personal files. So how do I gain admin access with my work email address? Lastly if someone can explain how the folder was even created originally using my personal email address in the first place? As it has both my details under this same folder registered as a memeber just with the different email address? 

Thank you

3 Replies

Re: I have an issue with a shared folder of mine. Any ideas?

Dropboxer
Hi there @Jason031

As a first step, since you can’t see the shared folder listed among the files that you have in your account, check your personal account’s Sharing tab and, if you find it, add it back

From there, invite the other account with the relevant (editing or view-only) rights and if you want to make the work account the owner (if your personal account is the current owner), change the permissions as per this article

@Jason031 wrote:

Lastly if someone can explain how the folder was even created originally using my personal email address in the first place?

A shared folder cannot be created and/or transferred to another Dropbox account without user interaction. It could be that you were invited to the shared folder and you accepted with the personal account at the time. 

You can find more info about what occurred and what actions were taking on a shared folder by:
  • Signing in to the website.
  • Clicking on your Files tab. 
  • Locating the shared folder and hovering over it. 
  • Clicking on the ellipsis (…) button that appears on the right side of the shared folder. 
  • Selecting Events.
If I’ve misunderstood what you’re trying to achieve or you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to get back to me. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Lusll 

Thank you for the feedback, its now got a little more complicated,  I did find the folder under my personal sharing as you suggested. The problem is it seems i created the original folder using my personal account some time ago, however my personal account was just the usual free folder size which today is only 9 Gigs however because the folder is sitting now on my business account this folder is over 91 Gigs so i cant get into this original folder using my personal account as it is too small to reload or get into too change the permissions. 

Whilst waiting for a response i have created a new folder using my business account and copied the content of the original folder too this new account with no sharing permissions set up as yet (moving 91 gigs again) if i then reshare this folder with my colleagues will they then technically have to reload the same folder which is another 91 gigs to their personal work stations if we are doing cloud and hard copy sharing?

If this is the only option,  i see i have an option to delete the original folder using my personal account with out trying to reload it.  

Look forward to your feedback thank you 

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me, @Jason031

Yes, you can copy-paste the content from the original shared folder to your newly-created folder and, yes, that new folder will have to sync to the member’s accounts once it is shared and added from their end. 

However, to avoid confusion, I’d recommend one of the following;
  • Name the new folder to something different than what the original shared folder is called. 
  • Advise members of the original shared folder to leave it before adding the new one.
Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I have an issue with a shared folder of mine. Any ideas?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post