cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an issue with indexing "._" files. Any ideas?

I have an issue with indexing "._" files. Any ideas?

maldonfruit
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Why are files prefixed with ._(then file name) showing in all my folders? Is this a mistake?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dot Underscore ( ._ ) files, otherwise known at AppleDouble files, are created by Apple's OS X or macOS operating system, typically when you store files on a non-native hard drive partition. They're used to hold extended attribute information that cannot be written to the partition along side the files. This is most common when using external hard drives that are formatted as FAT32, though it can happen with other partition types as well.

You usually don't see these files on a Mac because the operating system knows to hide them (they're still there though, and if you can see hidden files, you'll see them). On other systems the files are visible, including on Dropbox which will sync them like any other file. Note that an Apple Mac operating system is creating these files; not Dropbox.

Try a Google search for AppleDouble or dot underscore files and you'll find a lot more information about them.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dot Underscore ( ._ ) files, otherwise known at AppleDouble files, are created by Apple's OS X or macOS operating system, typically when you store files on a non-native hard drive partition. They're used to hold extended attribute information that cannot be written to the partition along side the files. This is most common when using external hard drives that are formatted as FAT32, though it can happen with other partition types as well.

You usually don't see these files on a Mac because the operating system knows to hide them (they're still there though, and if you can see hidden files, you'll see them). On other systems the files are visible, including on Dropbox which will sync them like any other file. Note that an Apple Mac operating system is creating these files; not Dropbox.

Try a Google search for AppleDouble or dot underscore files and you'll find a lot more information about them.

HS4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for pointing the issue, but there is no solution, not from any other user and not from dropbox support. Very disappoint from a service i considered the best on the industry, #Fail

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @HS4 - sorry to hear you feel this way - I'll try to help with this now. 

First off, these "AppleDouble files" - the (._) files - are generated by your Mac device(s), not Dropbox as @Rich has clearly outlined in his reply. 

Having said that now, kindly note that the issue you're seeing is a Mac issue that occurs when copying files with extended attributes metadata into a file system that doesn't support them. Depending on the information stored in the metadata, you may or may not need these files.

To avoid this issue if you have your Dropbox folder on an external drive, please make sure that the drive is formatted in the default file system format for the Operating System that is installed. 

Formatting drives may cause data loss. You can consult resources from your Operating System's manufacturer for steps and recommendations on formatting drives to a different file system. The most common default file systems are NTFS (Windows), HFS (Mac OS X) or ext4 (Linux) while Dropbox can't be used on removable drives at all. 

I know this is not much of a help but I hope it points you to the right direction. 

If there's anything else I can do from my end to help with this, do let me know!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

HS4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, its no helpful but thanks for reply, I just wonder if its only a mac problem why dropbox service doesnt allow me to search the files by ._ so I could easily find the wrong files and delete them instead of going folder by folder in 200 gigas and delete one by one. 

My suggestion for other mac users, that should be apparently (for dropbox) very few in the world; is get a copy of all your files in a external hard drive, then cancel your subscription to dropbox and find a compatible service somewhere else where could take care of common user problems. It would be easier to delete the wrong files from your hard drive than from dropbox in the clouds.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
It is dead easy to delete them from Dropbox (I do it frequently although it only happens if you use a badly formatted drive on your Mac).

Simply search for ._ on the Mac you are using Dropbox on OR at the Dropbox website and then delete them.

Users themselves really need to delete them - no program at all should be doing this because there is a chance of data loss.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

HS4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Try in the website, and check if it works, I totally tought the same at the beggining before i got upset with the service.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I did. It Worked fine.

I just searched for ._ and they all show up, or, rather did as I have removed them.

What I am going to say is that I am a Professional customer (www.dropbox.com/professional) which I know gives higher searching capabilities - mainly searching inside files, but, I dont know if that has anything to do with it.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Debra & Allen H
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm late coming to the discussions about the ._ files. I'm not a Pro user.

When I search on the ._ files on any folder, the result is "no files found" and if I add the year (I don't rename  photos), it results in every file beginning with the year (._ or not). If I add year & month, I seem to get all of them with a few random. And I'm on the computer that likely caused the problem.

But it's nice to know that most of the photos are on dropbox regardless of the ._ files. (Of course, except the ones my husband wanted at 2am. LMFAO)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Debra & Allen H Helpful | Level 5
    Mark Super User II
    HS4 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?