Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

I'm facing a delay while editing in Dropbox & I'm not liking the change regarding Comments.

Helpful | Level 5

Anyone else having a difficult time with the updated Comments tool?

We use Comments A LOT for client reviews and this update is just confusing everyone. Supposed to be more intuitive I guess, but it's just slowing us down. Even the system itself seems to lag and run slower.

Gone is the ability to hover over a marquee area from anohter user to see their comment pop up. Now, I have to CAREFULLY select the edge of the marquee area (while the cursor help message still says "Select an area to comment on") in order for the comment to display at the top of the Comments pane (a real pain!)

Worse is that NEW comments are now automatically shoved to the BOTTOM of the Comments pane (they used to push to the top). What is sorely missing is the ability to sort the comments by date or page number (acending or descending). I used to put a "this proof is closed" message at the top of the comments pane when we were done, but now it shoves to the bottom where no one sees it. Having the ability to pin a comment to the top of the list would also be very helpful. 

And lastly, where did the emoji's go! :P

Tags (1)
17 Replies

Re: Not liking recent upgrade to Comments tool

Dropboxer
Hey there (@DStrong), comments are currently listed in chronological order from the start of the file to the end of the file. If the file has multiple pages, the comments will indicate which page the comment was left on.

From there, I’m wondering if the issue you’re describing me here with the marked area & emojis persists across browsers or through an incognito window/ in private browsing mode for you. Can you try signing in once without any extensions running & see if that amends the behavior? As an additional step, would you mind clearing your browser's cache & see if this does the trick for you this time?

In case you are using Chrome, please make sure you are not blocking third-party cookies on the Content settings page (chrome://settings/content) under “Cookies”.

Additionally, are you seeing your comments displaying differently when you’re loading this preview in your Dropbox account &/or from a shared link?

If this persists for you after trying my suggestions (& you are comfortable sharing), could you include a screenshot (omitting personal info) in your next reply here, so as to get a better idea of the issue at hand? 

Once I have these details, I’ll try to address your initial inquiry in a bit more depth. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting to work on that with me & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

This isn't anything that's wrong with browser settings, it's a new update to the website that took effect in the past couple weeks.  I agree, it's terrible by comparison to the former implementation of comments.

When hovering over a selected area, the comment used to pop out right next to the marquee area, making it clear what the comment was for that section.  Now you have to hover over the border of the selection (all while it's showing the "select an area to comment on" tooltip) and look to the comments pane on the right side.  It's a lot less clear and unintuitive.  PLEASE change it back!

Shot_01.jpg

New member | Level 2

I agree with you. The old version that allowed comments on specific areas of the page worked fine. This new version is not working for me in any browser. 

Dropboxer
Thanks to all for your honest feedback; positive or negative, everything you're sending us over helps us better understand your needs. As our team is always looking for ways to improve, I’ll make sure your thoughts & concerns are passed along to them.

Please feel free to ping us back in case you have any further inquiries; our Community Wall is always open to your feedback or questions!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for the reply!  Here's hoping our feedback is put to good use slightly smiling face

Helpful | Level 5

I agree. When users want to correct a comma or letter (which are most of the corrections I do with clients og co-workers), they will put a tiny little yellow square aound that's very hard to spot.

I'd say that proff from my point of the screen takes almost double as long time as it did before.

Small squares of yellow are almost impossible to spot. And a square around a letter, comma, maybe a mispelled word, takes much too long time to spot on a page filled with tiny yellow squares.

I'm facing a delay while editing in Dropbox & I'm not liking the change regarding Comments.

Helpful | Level 5

Since Dropbox made changes these last few months, I have received numerous complaints from clients, along with my own thoughts on its poor performance.

Is anyone else experiencing a sluggishness using Dropbox now? It is taking my clients and I twice as long to get through edits together on documents because Dropbox is slow in reaction compared to the previous version.

Also, does anyone know if comments can be shown in order of page numbers that they're on, like they did in the previous version? Now they're coming up grouped by whoever is making the comments.

Re: All Kinds of New Problems

Dropboxer
Hey @Nancy M.34, kindly bear in mind that comments are currently listed in chronological order from the start to the end of the file, meaning that if it’s got multiple pages, the comments will indicate which page the comment was left on. 

While we’re currently gathering feedback regarding this implementation under this discussion here on our Community Nancy, I’m interested in seeing how this change has affected your workflow & what appears to be delayed on your end. I’d appreciate it if you could elaborate a bit on what seems to be troubling you & your clients, so as to make sure I’m following-up on the right thing. 

Any detail you could include on this discussion would be very helpful & rest assured that I’m here to help as much as possible. Thanks in advance! 

Jane

Re: All Kinds of New Problems

Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jane,

I brought my clients to Dropbox for document editing purposes, but the recent changes has made the workflow even worse for a variety of reasons. I will try to outline what is bothering me (as their graphic designer) and them (clients complaining to me regarding the changes). I will try to go over them logically as best I can.

We all work from the Dropbox website on our desktop or laptops, and all of us are working on a Windows platform and we're all working on catalogs 50-100 pages. So, here are the issues we are facing since you changed to this newer version:

1. With the new upgrade to Dropbox, or whatever you call it, it has become incredibly sluggish. When clicking to leave a comment, clicking on an existing comment, or trying to resolve a comment, there is a 2 to 10 second delay between the click of a mouse and Dropbox actually responding. That has increased project time at least 3-fold, let alone my client's workflow. The page load is also very slow or stops altogether. (This is the biggest complaint from all of my clients).
  2. The list of comments on the right side of Dropbox used to be in page order, and the edits themselves used to be numbered. This was the most organized presentation of changes because you could easily find a comment no matter when the comment was made. You could find the page, or identify a comment by the number assigned. I could also estimate how much time I needed on a project based on the number of comments that I could easily see at the bottom of the right-hand column. NOW, with changes in chronological order, clients are having a hard time locating comments they or others have made. It was much more user-friendly the original way. Even I am having a harder time finding comments. (All clients have complained about this.)
    If I were Dropbox, I would give people multiple views to choose from:  chronological order, commentor name order, or page order. This would offer various workflow styles to be met.
  3. In the previous version, when leaving a Comment the visual was a solid yellow 'highlight' over the words or areas that needed editing. Now that it is an outline, it is more difficult to manage and view on screen. You took a very easy way of highlighting and turned it into a way of having to be exact with an outline. Adding to this issue, you made the outline opaque. So, if someone isn't exact with their outline, it cuts off words and I can't see some things. (All clients have complained about this.)
    If I were Dropbox, I would bring back the solid highlight... but you should at least make the outline version transparent, not opaque. Or again, give people a choice to set it up as they wish (outline or solid).
  4. In the previous version, I could move down the document pages and easily click on a comment highlight and the comment box would open up right at that position. That was a huge benefit to limiting eye strain and keeping editing easy. Now that you have removed that function, I am forced to find an edit and then have to move my eyes to the right side column to see the comment/edit. As the designer, I never used that right-side comment column because it was easier to simply move down the actual document pages. The only time I used it was to confirm there were no other pending comments/edits.
    This I definitely wish you would bring back. It was much easier as a designer to just work down the actual pages, instead of being forced to move my eyes back and forth between the pages and right-side column.

In the end, what is happening is clients are turning to me for a solution. Unfortunately, if things don't improve somehow, we'll be forced to find another solution outside of Dropbox. That would be disappointing because it was going so good for all of us. No complaints. Easy-to-use, no matter what you level of technical skill. I took them off of hard copy edits into Dropbox and it was a blessing. But, now, not so much.

P.S. Two clients said they were most upset that they never received an email that Dropbox was even changing. You might look into that as well.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

17 Replies
21 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post