Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I'm facing an issue setting up Camera Uploads from my new android phone.

Level 2

Hi community,

I am migrating from an older Android phone to a new one.  My new phone has Android 8.1.0.  I have Dropbox installed on my new phone and on my PC, and the two are connected - or at least they seem to be because when I go on to my PC and go into Dropbox -> Settings -> Security my new phone is listed as a device linked to my Dropbox account.  I am logged in to Dropbox ok.  I have manually uploaded a few camera photos from my new phone, and they are present and correct in my list of DropsyncFiles.   I have two problems:-

1  Using Windows 10, I go into Windows Explorer but I can't find the photos I've uploaded anywhere.  If I select Dropbox then Camera Uploads, the folder is empty.  Can anyone help me to find my files on Windows Explorer please?  I will then be able to move them to another location (which is what I really want to do, to avoid them being sync'ed again).

2  I want to set up my new phone so that when I take a photo with the phone's camera that photo will automatically be uploaded via Dropbox  to my PC.  So on my phone I go into Dropbox, select menu -> Dropbox settings -> Features, and it says "Camera uploads ... Off".  I tap Camera uploads and then try to swipe the dongle to the right to switch on auto camera uloads.  Immediately I get a screen wich says "Connect a computer or upgrade to get more space".  But I'm connected!  And according to my Dropbox settings on my PC I've only used a tiny fraction of my available space.  Can anyone work out what I'm doing wrong, please?

I had absolutely no problems setting up my old phone - it just worked straight off.

This is my first post to the community.  Really grateful for your help.

3 Replies

Re: auto camera uploading

Dropboxer

Hey there @Ultrasonic  - welcome to our Community!

Could you try clearing your cache on your new Android device by following these steps? 

- Tap the menu icon in the upper-left corner of the screen
- Select "Settings"
- Select “Clear Cache”

Once this is done then please ensure you log out of the Dropbox application, then restart your device and log back in again. 

If you're still getting prompted to connect a computer, please make sure that you're logged into the same account on both devices. 

While we're at it, could you let me know the desktop app's exact status? Is it 'Up to date' or still syncing your changes? 

In any case, please let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hey Walter, many thanks for your reply and for helping me.  My wife is away for a few days and has taken the phone with her.  Please hang in there and I will get back to you - hopefully in about a week's time.  Meanwhile, have cleared cache, logged out and restarted the phone.  Will try the other actions soonest.

Dropboxer

No worries @Ultrasonic!

As you know, I'm always a post away so feel free to take your time and gather more information about the issue you're facing. 

Have a lovely day. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm facing an issue setting up Camera Uploads from my new android phone.
3 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post