cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm facing an issue, where .tiff files wouldn't preview intermittently. Why?

I'm facing an issue, where .tiff files wouldn't preview intermittently. Why?

VL15
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Have been uploading image files -- jpg and tif formats -- so I can share with specific users for their download. Have been encountering situation where a tif file that  uploaded to DB just fine, and allowed me to open/view just fine within DB, suddenly becomes inacessible when I visit the folder again. I get message ".tif files are supported but something went wrong."  What would cause a file to be completely openable/viewable one day, and then the next day, not? BTW, I always access DB through the website (rather than from offline DB desktop app.)  Any tips will be much appreciated! Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

VL15
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, Jane! very helpful! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @VL15, are you by any chance getting the same results upon attempting to replicate through an incognito window/in private browsing mode/without any extensions running & see if that makes a difference? 

As an additional step, would you mind clearing your browser's cache & see if this does the trick for you this time? If you’re still getting the same error message or you get stuck in any way, I’d appreciate it if you checked the file size for me & let me know in your next message if possible. Additionally, does the same behavior occur with more than one .tiffs?

Thanks for taking the time to work on that with me & I’ll be awaiting your findings, so as to further advise!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

VL15
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, Jane. Thx for response. So (while online mode at Dropbox.com) I: cleared cache (no change), turned off extensions (no change), and went into incognito mode (no change. ) I decided to download DropBox App again in case I did not have a current version, and in the hopes that my desktop Dropbox app would sync better/faster with my online mode. Also no change to my problem while in online mode. HOWEVER, I went to the Dropbox app on my desktop -- which is in offline mode (cuz that's what it always is, or am I doing something wrong there?) -- and the tif file that would not open in online mode was now appearing fine in that offine mode. And in answer to your other two questions: the problem tif file is 307 MB; I am able to open up the other tif files in online Dropbox just fine. Q: Am I correct that my offine Dropbox files accessed via my desktop app *should* always be a mirror image of of my files at Dropbox.com? And is my experience correct that I can only share files while online at Dropbox.com? Thanks, Jane!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Wow, thank you so much for checking out all my suggestions @VL15 & following-up so promptly; that’s mostly appreciated! 

Now, kindly note that the file causing you trouble isn’t previewing on your account online due to its size; you should be able to view .tiff images if they’re smaller than 200 MB or 50 megapixels. As you’ve mentioned that you’ve already discovered that the file opens normally as you’re viewing it locally on your desktop, I’d also encourage you to utilize this workaround for the time being for larger files that you can’t view online. 

@VL15 wrote:

Q: Am I correct that my offine Dropbox files accessed via my desktop app *should* always be a mirror image of of my files at Dropbox.com? 

Absolutely correct; your online file structure should be reflected across devices (i.e. your desktop/laptop &/or phone) & your account on our website. 

And is my experience correct that I can only share files while online at Dropbox.com? 
On the other hand, that’s not entirely right, as you should be able to share your files from our website, your connected desktop &/or your connected phone. 

Please keep me posted if you have any follow-up inquiries & it will be a pleasure to further clarify! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

VL15
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you, Jane! very helpful! 

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sure, anytime @VL15; happy Dropboxing ahead! 🤹🏽‍:female_sign: 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    VL15 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?