Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

I'm getting an error "Zip download failed" when downloading a folder, any ideas?

New member | Level 2

I'm trying to download a fairly large directory with a pretty deep hierarchy of folders in it. Every time it says Zip download failed. I've tried downloading folder separately but there are a huge number and in some folders it still fails because the context includes a lot of photos and some videos that are big.

Tags (1)
2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Zip download fails

Super User II

There are file size and quantity limitations when downloading folders. Make sure the folder you're downloading is smaller than 20 GB and has fewer than 10,000 files within it.

Ultimately, you'll have a much better experience if you install the Dropbox client and just allow the folder to sync to your computer. It's faster, resumes when interrupted, and doesn't have to compress your folders into Zip files.

Re: Zip download fails

New member | Level 2

I suspect there are more files in the folder than 10,000. So sounds like it can't zip it.  I've waited days for it to sync with no luck. Dropbox client just spins and gives me no indication if it is working. 

I tried zipping a smaller set and downloading at it did work. Also worth noting zipping and downloading took 1/10 the time it took to sync so I don't think it is true that syncing is faster. It may be on subsequent syncs but not on the first one. It is MUCH slower.

Doesn't sound like dropbox is a viable solution for me moving forward at least not for photo/video. I just have too many for them. I'll look at something else.

Thanks.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I'm getting an error "Zip download failed" when downloading a folder, any ideas?
2 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey