cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm unable to transfer a shared folder ownership to the desired contact. How can I resolve that?

I'm unable to transfer a shared folder ownership to the desired contact. How can I resolve that?

andrewgandon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The current owner of our Dropbox files is shortly to retire.

We wish to transfer ownership to the Church Administrator.

When we enter the email address and share it, it does indeed share.

However, there is no option to Change Owner to the new email address in the dropdown box.

Others with whom the folder has been previously shared do have that option. Only the new email address does not.

Could it be due to the fact that there is no named person at the new email address?

This email address is not an imported one, it seems to be there in the bowels of Dropbox.

How can we sort this out, please?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey andrewgandon, thanks for reaching out here on your sharing-related query, let’s look into the matter together!

As it’s my understanding that you’d like to follow the steps outlined on this resource, let me quickly clarify that you’ll need to be the current owner of a shared folder so as for the option to transfer ownership to appear. 

Following, the user in question should’ve added the folder in question on their account. If not, you won’t be given the option to make them an Owner (i.e. from the drop-down menu that appears next to their permissions as below).

Screenshot 2018-07-18 at 5.38.39 PM.png

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on your question, though I’m always here if this doesn't apply to what you're experiencing, just let me know how my tip works for you & I’ll do my best to check back with you. Enjoy your day until we talk again Andrew! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey andrewgandon, thanks for reaching out here on your sharing-related query, let’s look into the matter together!

As it’s my understanding that you’d like to follow the steps outlined on this resource, let me quickly clarify that you’ll need to be the current owner of a shared folder so as for the option to transfer ownership to appear. 

Following, the user in question should’ve added the folder in question on their account. If not, you won’t be given the option to make them an Owner (i.e. from the drop-down menu that appears next to their permissions as below).

Screenshot 2018-07-18 at 5.38.39 PM.png

Hopefully this sheds a bit of light on your question, though I’m always here if this doesn't apply to what you're experiencing, just let me know how my tip works for you & I’ll do my best to check back with you. Enjoy your day until we talk again Andrew! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

CDSLily
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, I am trying to change the owner as well, but there is no "Make owner" option in the drop-down menu. Any idea why and how can I solve this issue? Thanks.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @CDSLily, thanks for the nudge here! I’m wondering if what you’re experiencing applies to what’s been discussed here before. Could this be happening by any chance? 

If it’s not too much trouble for you, can you clarify if you’re the shared folder Owner & whether you’re working on a team?  I’d appreciate any visual aid you could provide (without personal info), please include any screenshots or short videos would help me paint a clear picture of the issue at hand in your next message if possible. 

Thanks in advance & keep me updated here if I've missed anything along the way!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

fbugay
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If I change ownership will I free up space in the original dropbox account?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@fbugay wrote:

If I change ownership will I free up space in the original dropbox account?

Changing ownership doesn't free up space, because after changing ownership, the folder is still in your Dropbox. After changing ownership, if you no longer need the folder, you can remove yourself from the share and that will free up space by removing the folder from your Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    fbugay New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    CDSLily New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?