Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I receive an error message when trying to delete files, what can I do?

New member | Level 2

Not able to delete files, it says 'operation not permitted". It is not a shared folder.

Tags (1)
9 Replies

Re: delete files

Dropboxer
Hey there @Biagentil,

Can you let me know a little more info on the steps you take when you receive this error message? For example, are you doing this from the web, on your desktop Dropbox folder or a mobile device?

Also if you don’t mind sharing a screenshot of the error message (excluding any personal info) this would be helpful too.

Looking forward to hearing from you - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 4

I'm having the same issue.  JPEG files are automatically uploading to a "Camera Uploads" folder in Dropbox.  But (using the web) I'm not being allowed to delete the files from that folder.  Not understanding why.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the info you provided there! Can you let me know if you receive an error message when trying to delete the photos? Have you tried using another browser or incognito/private window and tried to complete the action again? Also, could you try clearing your browser cache to see if this helps.

Should you be receiving any error messages, please take a screenshot of this (excluding any personal info). 

Let me know how it goes - Cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I'm getting this error too when deleting a large m4v file.  Screenshot attached

capture

Dropboxer
Hey there @mikejisrael,

I wasn’t able to see your screenshot, would you mind trying to attach it again in your reply? You can do so with the following options:

image_preview.pngHow to attach a screenshot
Also, I’ll need you to provide some more info such as what I requested previously, and to try the steps suggested if using the web browser. This info will help us to understand the situation and be able to assist accurately.

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

I'm having the same issue. Doesn't matter if video or photo, one or many. 
It is in my camera uploads folder. Trying to attach screenshot but it wants me to upload it elsewhere online and then copy an image URL i assume? Insert image asks for Source dimensions, etc but no way to upload an image off my computer to here. 

Dropboxer
Hey there @spiltsugar,

Can you read my previous posts on this thread and let me know the answers to the questions so that we can troubleshoot effectively and accurately? Without this info we won’t be able to understand the issue you’re facing.

Also as a side note, you should be able to attach images from your computer rather than a URL by clicking on the options to attach images in your reply.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne

New member | Level 2

Same issue: I created an excel spreadsheet, and uplaoded it to Dropbox, but then decided to delete it. In order to do that, I click on the box on the right, click 'delete' in the drop down menu and then click 'delete' again in the pop-up window that opens. Then the message box 'This operation isn't permitted' pops up on the top of the page. Also, I am not able to open the file in Microsoft Excel, it only gives me the choices 'Microsoft Excel Online' or 'Google Sheets'.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 10.26.16 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-15 at 10.26.16 PM.png

Dropboxer

Hey there @MaikeBee,

For the deletion issue you're having, would you mind trying a different web browser to see if you still get the same error message? Also, you can try an incognito window and clearing the browser cache to see if that does the trick.

In terms of not seeing the option to open the file locally on your computer with Excel, can you clarify a few points for me:

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I receive an error message when trying to delete files, what can I do?
9 Replies
2 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post