Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

I seem to be having a syncing issue. Can you help?

New member | Level 2

DropBox is syncing with my computer only in one direction. A folder in my online DropBox does not appear in my computer DropBox. When I create a new folder in my computer DropBox, it does appear in my online DropBox. When I edit documents in my computer DropBox, it uploads automatically to the copy online. Documents added to my online DropBox by other parties are not appearing in my computer DropBox.

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: I seem to be having a syncing issue. Can you help?

Dropboxer
Hey @LMiller, assuming that the rest of your content has been syncing locally as expected, then I’d suspect that there’s an incompatible character in the folder that’s been troubling you, therefore I’d suggest using Dropbox's "Bad Files Check" webpage to determine which files are not syncing due to this discrepancy. In most cases you should be able to resolve the incompatibility by simply renaming the file & omitting the illegal characters. (Extra tip: These pointers may help you shed you some more light on the possible cause.) 

Taking it from there, if that’s not the case & you’re not seeing your files syncing down to your computer, then we’d best go one step back & check your syncing status, as you could be facing an underlying syncing issue. Just as a quick check, could you have a look on your menu bar/system tray on the Dropbox icon? If you hover your mouse on it, it should display the Dropbox syncing progress. What does the message there read for you? 

Please do let me know of what you find on your end, so that we check back what’s happening together; I’l be awaiting your next message here!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I did as you suggested. I received a "Filename contains an invalid character" response.

Since there are multiple parties with access to this folder, I'm not comfortable with editing the name. If I correct it, will the other users' computers stop syncing?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
I appreciate your prompt reply @LMiller; I’d happily advise you on the best next steps! 

Now, as you mentioned that the foldername contains an invalid character, I’d assume that it was created by a Mac user & that’s why it’s not syncing down to your pc. From there, I'd also suspect that you’re not the Owner of the share & someone else has shared this content with you. If so, then you can rename or move the folder & it will not be reflected on other shared folder members’ view.

Hopefully my hints point you towards the right direction & please do let me know if you have more questions about any of the above or if you have misunderstood your request in any way!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I seem to be having a syncing issue. Can you help?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution