Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

I've deleted unsynced files from Dropbox in error. Is there any chance to restore them somehow?

Level 2

Hi,

I uploaded few folders and files to dropbox few days ago, and I deleted all the copied folders from my source desktop. I eventually found out that some of the folders that i copied to my dropbox has no files in them. I tried to trouble shoot but couldn't restore those files. If someone could guide me get those files back, hat would be very helpful. Thanks!

1 Reply
Highlighted

Re: I've deleted unsynced files from Dropbox in error. Is there any chance to restore them somehow?

Dropboxer

Hey @Card, sorry to hear that you’re facing this issue; rest assured that I’m here to help you as much as I can on my end. 

For starters, it looks like there was an error with the files you chose to sync to Dropbox in the first place. Can you let me know if you placed the right content within your Dropbox folder if it’s not too much trouble for you? 

From there, would you mind checking back on what you can find following the pointers listed below: 

Spoiler
  • Have you tried looking up some example file/ folder names on the Search box  🔍 on the top-right hand corner of your Account incidentally? Has this yielded any results? 
  • It would be worth mentioning that you could search on your Deleted Files page for recent deletions. Would you mind having a look there whenever you get a chance? What do you see there? Did you recently notice the deletion on your end perchance? 

Spoiler

If you've lost a file, please try to locate and restore the file using the steps described in this resource, however if you still can't find it or open it, you may be able to recover it from your Dropbox cache in an emergency.

Kindly note that files in the cache folder are stored there often after they are moved or deleted after syncing. If you can't find your file using all other practical methods, you can try to recover the file from Dropbox cache as a last resort. The Dropbox cache will keep your files for up to three days after they have been moved or deleted.

The Dropbox cache folder is hidden in your Dropbox application settings. To rescue a file from your Dropbox cache, follow the instructions for your operating system: 

Windows:

1. Open a new Windows Explorer window by clicking on the Start menu and selecting My Computer.
  2. Copy and paste the following code into the location bar at the top of the window:

%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox.dropbox.cache

1. Press Enter. This will take you directly to the Dropbox cache folder in your Application Data folder.
  2. Recover your lost file by dragging it out of the Dropbox cache folder.

Mac:

1. Open the Finder and select Go to folder... from the Go menu (or press Shift-Command-G).
  2. dialog box should appear. Copy and paste the following line of code below into the box:

~/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache

1. Press the Return key. This will take you directly to the Dropbox cache folder.
  2. Recover your lost file by dragging it out of the Dropbox cache folder.

Linux:

1. Open a new Terminal window.
  2. Copy and paste the following command to move to the Dropbox cache directory:

cd ~/Dropbox/.dropbox.cache

1. List the contents of the cache directory (ls -l) to find your lost file.
  2. Recover your lost file by moving (mv) the desired file somewhere safe. 
Nonetheless, if the files you're searching aren't in the Dropbox cache folder and doesn't show up as a deleted file on dropbox.com, then I’d have to be the bearer of bad news for you, as they're most likely lost and not recoverable.

I hope that this is helpful to some extent & I’m always here in case you have any follow-up questions. Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I've deleted unsynced files from Dropbox in error. Is there any chance to restore them somehow?
1 Reply
0 Likes