Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

I want data to be on my PC as well as on dropbox cloud but accidental PC delete not affect my cloud.

New member | Level 2

what happen if I selective sync a folder which is actually a hard junction link from a folder on my PC to my dropbox folder on the same PC. Does it delete the main root files.

-- I guess, it might NOT, cause it might just delete the link. But as it is a link and doesn't take any space, I don't want this link to get deleted by using selective sync.

If there are other possible ways in which I can get my files and folders make sync and NotSync whenever I like but the part which I synced remains on the cloud, and the whole(including some unsync files) remain on my PC. Then some other time I can again ON the sync and get the remain files synced too. So that accidental deletion of any sync file from my PC remains entact in dropbox.

(Note - Sync feature of Dropbox that we have also a negative point that if a file deletes from dropbox folder it gets deleted from the cloud. I want this feature to cure.)  

HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND MY QUESTION!

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: I want data to be on my PC as well as on dropbox cloud but accidental PC delete not affect my cl

Dropboxer
Hey @rk1304, I hope I'm on the right path; let’s untie the knots together! 

When it comes to hardlinks, it sounds like you’re referring to items that were synced to your Dropbox account via a symlink that linked outside of your Dropbox folder. If so, then these should now be found in a copy of the folder appended with (Symlink Backup Copy) & this folder should be unchecked in your selective sync preferences by default. 

@rk1304 wrote:

I can get my files and folders make sync and NotSync whenever I like but the part which I synced remains on the cloud, and the whole(including some unsync files) remain on my PC.

It would be great if you could specify what you’d like to achieve as an ideal end-result here. Would you like to store files in the Dropbox folder that wouldn’t sync to our servers?

if a file deletes from dropbox folder it gets deleted from the cloud. I want this feature to cure.)  

That’s right! If you delete your files in your desktop, this should sync to your account online & all your connected devices. If you’d like to remove files only on your desktop/laptop, then you’re on the right path if you’re de-selecting the relevant folders on your Selective Sync settings.  

Please let me know how you get on with my advice above & I’ll do my best to touch-base here. 

Thanks!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: I want data to be on my PC as well as on dropbox cloud but accidental PC delete not affect my cl

New member | Level 2

Thanks! @jane for your supportive answer.

I just want to know Is there any feature available in Dropbox such that along with sync, if by mistake or by an accident (like my hard-drive crashes etc.) if my data deleted on my PC, it should remain on my cloud. Not like deleted from everywhere. I just wanted to make my data secure for future use. So that if unfortunately, the data from my computer goes off. I have a copy of that data on the cloud. 

if Sync feature for new files which will be added in future also works. it would be highly appreciated. 

Dropboxer
Thanks for explaining @rk1304; I’d happily further clarify! 

If your hard disk crashes, you should be able to find a copy of the files you had synced to our servers up until that point in time in your Dropbox account online. You can mirror this copy on a new/replacement device simply by installing the Dropbox desktop app & letting them sync there anew. Any new files you sync from your newly connected pc/Mac will appear on your Dropbox account online & you can continue from where you had left off. 

If you accidentally delete your local files in Dropbox, you can easily restore them from our website as long as they’re within the recovery window. You can also ask our team to get going with a restoration on your behalf. 

I hope I’ve covered everything; please let me know if you have any follow-up questions for me! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

If you accidentally delete your local files in Dropbox, you can easily restore them from our website as long as they’re within the recovery window. You can also ask our team to get going with a restoration on your behalf

Thanks! @jane but Can you please explain this part to me.

What do you mean when you say local files. Do you mean that if I deleted something from my PC dropbox folder accidentally? How does it get back then? How even your team does that for me? What is the Recovery Window?

But How this matters if I do it 'accidentally' or 'with purpose'. It shows a sudden effect in my dropbox folder on the cloud as they both are synced. It will also delete from the cloud too. Then how can I get files back?

Honestly, I didn't even know what's the point in uploading such large files to the cloud. when A single delete is reflected in just a second though. Sync is a good Feature but I want my files to Remain forever.

Dropboxer
Sure thing @rk1304, I’ll do my best to address your follow-up inquiries!

Yes, by local files in the Dropbox folder, I meant those you’ve synced on your desktop. If you delete them & you change your mind, you can restore those on the Deleted Files page & the recovery window depends on your plan

Our team can restore more files if you can’t do that on your end &/or restore your account back to a point in time if you’ve been affected by malware or undo changes in bulk if needed. Anything restored on our website will sync back to your connected devices. 

It may be helpful to remember that there’s a pop-up Notification on your desktop each time your remove files outside Dropbox & when you delete a file from Dropbox, it's no longer visible in any of the folders you see in your account. However, the file isn’t permanently deleted until after your recovery window. Also, nothing will be removed without your input, so syncing deletions shouldn’t be a showstopper if you’d like to store your files in Dropbox. 

I hope my post sheds a bit more light. Enjoy the rest of your day! 

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I want data to be on my PC as well as on dropbox cloud but accidental PC delete not affect my cloud.
5 Replies
1 Like
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post