Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

IOS 13--uploading raw .dng files using dropbox app on phone doesn't work

Explorer | Level 3

I have used the dropbox app on Iphone for years synced with my desktop computer.  On an Iphone SE using IOS versions prior to 13, I was able to go into the dropbox app on the phone and then use the app to upload RAW .dng image files from the photo roll on the phone so that I could then get them to the desktop. 

I just purchased an Iphone 11 Pro with IOS 13--I can still see the pictures within the dropbox app, but it will only upload jpg versions (perhaps a jpg preview embedded in the raw file? or maybe it's converting dng to jpg?).  

Is it no longer possible to use the dropbox app to upload RAW .dng files from the camera roll?  Or, if so, what am I doing wrong?

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: IOS 13--uploading raw .dng files using dropbox app on phone doesn't work

Dropboxer

Hello @Xbotnot. Thanks for sharing your issue with the Community. 

You should not have an issue uploading the RAW .dng files via the Dropbox mobile application. iphone thinking face  Allow me to ask a few questions: 

• Are you doing this via the "camera uploads" feature or the "+" button? 
  • Are other files being uploaded succesfully? 
  • Have you tried reinstalling Dropbox on this mobile device?
  • How is your batter and storage, when trying to upload? 

Once I have this info I can help you troubleshoot! slightly smiling face

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I have reinstalled dropbox on my Iphone. Battery and charge are normal.  Other files upload fine.   

Using the "+" feature within the app: when selecting "upload photos" it will show the photo, but it will only upload a .jpg version of the photo, not the raw photo.  

When selecting "create or upload a file", and then "Browse" it will not allow me to access photos saved on the phone--there is not way to get to the photo roll.  

I do not use the "camera uploads" feature.  I do not want to automatically upload ALL photos from the Iphone, just select photos.  

Dropboxer

I see. Thanks for the additional information @Xbotnot

My understanding is that you have two versions of the files on your phone. So the jpeg version, that gets uploaded successfully and .raw. one, that doesn't. Correct?

What is the specific file extension of these files you have? Is it .raw or something else?

Have you tried uploading these .raw files from our website or the desktop application?

Last but not least, where are these files located in your phone? 

Thank you so much for helping me get a better grasp of this issue. 

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

1. RAW files on the Iphone are .dng extension.  When I select a photo that is a .dng extension, and try to upload it to my dropbox account, I suspect that one of two things happens (I'm not sure which and not sure how to tell which): either a) the .dng file is automatically converted to a .jpg, or b) there is a .jpg image embedded in the .dng file to be used a preview for viewers that is uploaded, but not the .dng itself.   

2. If I am in the dropbox app on the Iphone, and I select "+ Create", then select "Upload Photos" I am taken to a display of photos on the phone. If I select a photo that I know is a RAW photo, then click "Next", I get a notice "loading" that is very brief, and then it displays the File Name of the photo but with a .jpg extension (not .dng), and that .jpg extension is uploaded to my dropbox account. 

3.  The only way that I've discovered to get a RAW .dng file to upload to dropbox from my phone is to use a third party camera app such as ProCam to select the RAW file, and then have it sent to dropbox.  This works--it uploads the .dng file.  But, it is cumbersome as it only allows uploading of one file at a time.  

4.  I am not sure how an Iphone saves photos, or where.  They are available on the camera roll (or native "photos" app), but they are not available when 

5. I have not tried to do this with the desktop app since I'm trying to upload from an Iphone, not a desktop computer. 

6. If I use a webbrowser on my phone, say the firefox app, and login to dropbox, and then try to upload a .dng photo through firefox, the same thing happens--a jpg is uploaded, not a raw  .dng file.  

Dropboxer

Thank you for your points and all your time. 

I got to the bottom of this. For now, there is no way to upload RAW files via iOS Mobile devices. The Dropbox mobile app, detects any RAW files  as JPEG, DNG or HEIC files and uploads to Dropbox as that file type. It is not able to upload them as raw. 

If you want to upload the RAW file, you will need to upload the file using the Dropbox Desktop application. Drag and drop it there and it will be saved as raw to your Dropbox. White check mark

Thank you! 

Fiona

Explorer | Level 3

I am having a similar issue here when using Halide software on my new iPhone 11 Pro. Halide allows me to take JPG or RAW (.dng) files. Dropbox allows me to upload JPEGs, but not the RAW - just throws up an error dialog. I am able to send the RAW files to me via email attachment, but wish this would work in Dropbox!

Dropboxer

Thanks for posting your @Choreonerd face

Fiona

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

IOS 13--uploading raw .dng files using dropbox app on phone doesn't work
7 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post