cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient space message

Insufficient space message

James_Phelps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I created a Shared Folder yesterday and asked 14 people to start uploading videos of presentations to the folder.  Several of them are receiving email messages saying there is insufficient space for their file to upload.

This makes no sense as my plan allows for 3 TB of space and I'm currently only using 11.7 GB.

Yet some people who try to upload their files get a Drop Box link with the file, but it isn't showing up in the actual file folder.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @James_Phelps,

You should take in mind while share a folder that the folder's content engage capacity to all account sharing that folder, i.e. not only your account capacity. This is Dropbox tactic for account capacity stacking prevention. So, if some account, participating in the particular folder sharing, is small enough (i.e. "Basic" for example), then shared content would engage all available capacity and, as a consequece, block account activity. :scream: Unfortunately...

As a workaround could be used different ways. Instead shared folder you can use file request, for example. So, no other account would be need -> no capacity problems! Another way could be instead one big folder to be shared multiple smaller folders, every one folder with size fitting corresponding participant capacity. Other similar combinations could be pointed... :wink:

You can use what you would like. The choice is yours.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @James_Phelps,

You should take in mind while share a folder that the folder's content engage capacity to all account sharing that folder, i.e. not only your account capacity. This is Dropbox tactic for account capacity stacking prevention. So, if some account, participating in the particular folder sharing, is small enough (i.e. "Basic" for example), then shared content would engage all available capacity and, as a consequece, block account activity. :scream: Unfortunately...

As a workaround could be used different ways. Instead shared folder you can use file request, for example. So, no other account would be need -> no capacity problems! Another way could be instead one big folder to be shared multiple smaller folders, every one folder with size fitting corresponding participant capacity. Other similar combinations could be pointed... :wink:

You can use what you would like. The choice is yours.

James_Phelps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for the advice.  I've given it a try and hope it will work.

James

Mdopps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So, very frustrated here.  There is only ONE Source of the file/s so there is no Technical reason to force someone to upgrade when they dont need the space to download someone elses content.  Our expectations of file sharing is not to require the destination to have the same giant pool of space avaialble.   it's a rather rather simple thing unless dropbox is trying to use the opportunity to make alot more people purchase space...   

Plenty of competing services out there do not require the destination to have a premium account.  For example you can share something from your Onedrive, google Drive, or even a simple Sharepoint folder with someone who doesnt require an account to download the data.  

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Mdopps, thanks for joining us here!

If you just need the recipient to be able to view/download the content you want to share with them, then you can use a shared link instead. This won't even require them to have a Dropbox account.

You can check out more info about shared links here.

Hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Mdopps New member | Level 2
    James_Phelps New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?