Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?

New member | Level 2

It behaves unlogically (turning local sync on via Mac OS Finder's Dropbox Menu rarely works on folders for example) and can make working difficult because the locally synced files of some projects are not consistently synced locally.

I did prefer the old Selective Sync / Choose folders to sync way of doing things.

182 Replies

Re: Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?

Super User II
Inside of the Preferences menu on the Sync tab you can choose it to always go to 'local' (as I have).

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

I've set it to local but still have to wait to view files in Finder for it to "download" I would like to sync the folders I have specified and not wait when my wifi is spotty.

Helpful | Level 5
I have the same problem. Dropbox has not been helpful in resolving this problem.

Helpful | Level 5
This solution is only a partial help. I still have to download files to keep them local. I want them available locally without having to download.

Super User II

If you have the desktop client installed (www.dropbox.com/downloading) and do not have any folders hidden as per Selective Sync (https://help.dropbox.com/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview) with everything set in Smart Sync to local only (https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/smart-sync) they will be local.

However, the first time you change it to local only the files WILL NEED to download. That cannot be avoided.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2

I am so angry at smart sync. Despite turning it off everywhere I can see, when I selectively sync a folder, it doesn't download like dropbox is supposed to. I have to open the folder in windows for the files to download.

I wish at an admin level I could disable smart sync entirely for our business account. If I want a folder, I'll selectively sync it.  

So frustrating. I've thought that dozens of gigs of files have downloaded and then gone offline to find I don't have any of them.

Helpful | Level 5

DOES NOT WORK. It keeps downloading them with a little gray cloud icon each of them, isntead of the typical green checkmark.

A pain in the *** every time you want to open a file supposedly already downloaded.

Super User II
What does not work?

Can you give us more info as to what you are doing and the steps you are taking when adding the files.

New member | Level 2

Encouraging to see this is getting some attention. Discouraging to see little is being done about it. Have been trying to figure out smart synch all morning and came to the conclusion that it is another product of some developer saying "wouldn't it be a great idea if ..." without giving much thought about the automation aspects that many users (like myself) dislike considerably. 

There should be a function to simply "turn smart synch off" rather than all this local and cloud stuff which can confuse many users. I have followed tha dvice of this thread but to no avail.

I seriously wish some other company would provide a cloud storage as comparable and affordable as DB because I would take my business across to them in a heartbeat given all the changes that have happened over the years.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

182 Replies
175 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post