Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?

Dropboxer
Thanks for letting us know of the steps that worked for you karpodiem!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I did what glennbullion suggested but after a while, the files decided that I wasn't using them and they went back to online-only... Any other suggestions?

Dropboxer
Let me follow-up in a bit more detail kmdweb. It's my understanding that this pertains specifically to your device's setup at the moment, so I'll take it from there. 

You may keep in mind that glennbullion's steps are specific to team members, therefore if you're using a Professional account, you may have a look at the info I posted on the previous page on this thread. 

As you’ve mentioned that your folders are changing without your input (namely reverting back to online-only ☁️ upon choosing them to become locally synced White check mark), I’d suspect that Symlinks are causing this discrepancy. Have you by any chance used this type of reference to data in locations outside of the Dropbox folder? 

Please do let me know whether this is the case here, so as investigate with you in more depth. Thanks & I’m looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Highlighted

How can I disable Smart Sync so that I can have my files sync?

New member | Level 2

Is there anyway to completely remove the Smart Sync feature? I want to always keep my files online and synced and accessible on my hard-drive as well. I now see the icons displaying Online Only on my files, as soon as I click on the file, it turns that file and the folder Local Only -- then I am forced to switch it back to Online -- this is causing issues with my company folder. 

Is there a way similar to Google Drive where I can just simply keep them live on my computer and have them update live from the Dropbox online in sync together. I assumed this WAS the norm now, but this Smart Sync feature is adding extra complications for me.

Re: Smart Sync issues!

Dropboxer

Hey there @Andzayn - sorry to hear you'd prefer not to use Smart Sync.

In any case, you can do so by setting your default sync preferences for new content to "local" and by recalling any files that are currently "online only".

For instructions on syncing online-only content and choosing the default setting for new content, please see this Help Center article

Should you stumble upon any issues with this process please don’t hesitate to reach back out; I will be happy to help!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I currently have it set to be managed by admin as it's a company wide folder. But if I set it to be local then when I work off the file and save it, it won't auto update for my team, right? I'd like to essentially have it set so if we're working on files and saving, it's live updating on our dropbox folders.

Dropboxer

Of course it will update normally @Andzayn - just make sure to keep the desktop application running when you work on those files - once it states "Up to date" you're ready to go since this would indicate that you're fully synced

Should you need anything else in the meantime, please let me know! 

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

The issue is it's saying up to date but my teammates cannot see my changes or updates and I cannot see theres. 

Dropboxer

Are they also showing "Up to date" @Andzayn? Have you made sure you're looking at the same folder(s) while you're at it too? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. Feel free to include any piece of information you think might help with our investigation in your next reply too.

Thanks again!

Walter

New member | Level 2

Yes, it's showing no updates from anyone or myself, even in the web portal, I see that I'm alone in my team folder and its evening showing up under Everything Else rather than team.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?
115 Replies
115 Likes
Solved! : See solution