Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Re: Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?

Explorer | Level 4

Dear Jane,

It is great - really - that you are continuing to help people out here, which is rarerely seen in support forums for other companies. Why don't you product manager and developers help you out and change the software to make it a clear option to turn off smart sync, i.e.,  give it the right name instead of "system extensions". This way people would be saved a lot of frustrations and so would you. It might have the name "system extension" because som witty programmer thinks it is smart, if they come up with other "smart" features in the future, that use this "extension". But that is NOT smart - that is dumb, It makes the software confusing and you might not come up with other functions before everything has changed anyways. 

Thanks for your efforts and please ask your product manager / developers to straighten this out.

Explorer | Level 4
Yeah, I've been trying to switch it off for some time now and it seems there's no clear, straightforward way to do it.

Explorer | Level 4

Michael, just right-click (or control-click) Dropbox in your file browser > Smart Sync > 'Local'. This will begin downloading any files not yet synced and disable Smart Sync completely.

Dropboxer
Hey @hoegge, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, as our team is always looking for ways to improve, it’s very useful to understand your perspective; positive or negative, everything you're sending us over helps us paint a clearer picture of what could enhance the way you’re interacting with Dropbox! 

Following, my comment here is also an open invite to ping us back here in case you have any further inquiries & it'll be a pleasure to work with you. Thanks again to everyone who reached out to us here for assistance! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Smart Sync issues!

New member | Level 2

It does not help, I had to reinstall DB, this is very unproductive feature that Dropbox force on users, I trust DB to sync all my files, download them to all my laptops that I have selectively chosen and have it ready for me localy.
I create video content on office PC and distribute it to all laptops that are to go on the road. With this new great feature I found myself on location with all my files in the Cloud. Awesome, what an awesome surprise, it defintaly helps me with time, space and cost managment downloading all manualy video by video via 4G.

Dropboxer

Hey there @Armin1234

It sounds like you have Smart Sync for new content to be synced to your computer(s) as online only. 

If you do and you'd like to change it so that new content syncs to your device as local instead, follow the steps below:

1. Click on the Dropbox icon from the menu bar or system tray that's next to your computer's close.
  2. Select your profile picture or initials.
  3. From the drop-down meny, go to Preferences...
  4. Click Sync.
  5. Change the select for Smart Sync Default to be Local.

If I've misunderstood your concern or what you're trying to do, please don't hesitate to get back to me. Thanks!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I have mine set as SmartSync "off" and "local" selected but still, none of my files are available locally. I'll be taking my business to OneDrive as Dropbox has been ignoring this problem for over a year it seems. Now to download all my files manually as I'd have to anyway...

Helpful | Level 6

Yep, this is ruining my entire dropbox experience. Installed dropbox on a new computer last week. I'm still waiting to get my files onto that machine so I can get working. 

Making me crazy.

Dropbox admin: when we ask to turn off smartsync please can it actually happen?

Highlighted

This new smart sync thing is not working for me and I can't turn it off

Helpful | Level 6

Been a happy Dropbox customer for almost 10 years.

Last week I installed Dropbox on a new home computer, connected it to my home broadband, selected selecive sync of about 100GB of stuff and left it syncing for the week.

Now I sit down to work. Dropbox is stuck saying "starting". Despite explicitly NOT selecting smart sync in my global preferences, all of my files seem to be individually set to smart sync. So I went through them all switching them to Local, but Dropbox seems to just ignore me and they seem to be stuck with ambiguous status. 

I'm just not enjoying this user-experience design. Main point should be this: if user deactivates smart sync in global settings then it should go back to normal operation.

Cheers.

Re: This new smart sync thing is not working for me and I can't turn it off

Dropboxer

Hello @olliebown

Let's see what we can do on this. 

At first, awesome work on the initial troubleshooting - choosing some folders to be selectively synced helps improve the performance of the desktop app.

Could you also confirm if you have any symlinks working in your Dropbox folder, as they can also affect the syncing process?

If you do find any, try removing them following the steps shown here (step 7)

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?
157 Replies
166 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Looking for Dropbox Paper users

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey