Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Re: Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?

Dropboxer

Hello @olliebown! Happy to help with the evil mode. smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes

Even though this thread reports to have a solution, you can still comment here or even open a new thread if you wish! tools

I understand my colleague Lusil has emailed you to help further, please let us know if you were able to find this communication. If not let's check one more thing together here in Community. 

Can you please check the default Smart Sync settings for this device? 

Go to "Preferences", then "Sync" and then "Smart Sync".

Thank you!

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 3

Hello, All,

I was part of this conversation early on, and have an additional related question.  I've attached a screenshot that shows how the highest level of my folder structure has the SmartSynch options.  However, sub-folders do not.

This is for my "personal" account attached to my master account.  The master account works fine, so is this a "personal" folder limitation?

...PeterScreen Shot 2019-10-09 at 9.png

Dropboxer

Hi there @pborsellaBOS

Thanks checking back in with us and for the screenshot! Definitely gives a better understanding of what you're seeing. 

I've just removed some info included in your attached image for security purposes as per Community Guidelines. 

Moving on to your question though, could you please let us know if you've tried refreshing your Finder or rebooting your computer? Maybe that will do the trick.

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for your security assistance! I’ve tried rebooting and the problem remains.

Dropboxer

Thanks for checking that our for me, @pborsellaBOS!

Could you also confirm if the Smart Sync icons don't appear when you change the viewing option on your Finder? thinking face

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

An interesting idea.  I tried different views with the same result.  Something else quite interesting:  attached is a screenshotScreen Shot 2019-10-09 at 2.png of another folder where SOME of the sub-folder items have the SmartSynch circle and some do not.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for looking into that for me and for the screenshot, @pborsellaBOS!

As for your concern, I've followed up with a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile. When you have the chance, please check your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

PS. I've removed some personal info included in your image once again for privacy purposes. grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

Helpful | Level 6

Hi Fiona, great, thanks, that makes a lot of sense... even though the problem is not solved you insist on marking it as solved and whoopee, I get to start a new thread with exactly the same problem as a workaround. How gracious. Love the process you've got going here.

Smart Sync settings are set to LOCAL. I've checked and double checked that. 

Update: I'm referring to the thread I started, also marked as solved, not this one. Quite confusing working out which thread I'm in sometimes.

Helpful | Level 6

Now we're talking. Thank you Max for providing a constructive and insightful answer, unlike Dropbox support, who keep asking me whether I've set SmartSync to Local in my preferences. I haven't tried this but I will do when I get home, and hopefully it can be updated as the proper solution.

Update: this is in reply to @MaxLebled's post: 

MaxLebled (Helpful | Level 5) posted a new reply in Files & folders on 10-08-2019 07:58 AM.

Dropboxer

If you don't find a solution trying the very helpful steps Max provided,  I can start an email communication with you to personally check device related details and take it from there @olliebown. Keep us posted. Thanks!

Fiona

Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is it possible to turn off Smart Sync?
149 Replies
143 Likes
Solved! : See solution