Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

Highlighted

Is there a way to have online files only locally?

Explorer | Level 4

Is the reverse of Selective Sync available, i.e. to have local folders that don't get uploaded to my Dropbox account? Many software tools support a local ignore file listing files and folders that the tool will ignore as if they didn't exist.

As a software engineer, tools often download and store modules into our source folders (node_modules, vendor, etc). Since these are downloaded from the internet, there's no point uploading them to Dropbox. In other cases when working on both Linux and Windows, you may even want each client to maintain different versions of the same files.

Selective Sync doesn't work because Dropbox deletes the local folder after uploading it to my account. I don't want the folder in my account at all.

3 Replies

Re: Selective Upload?

Super User II
There isnt no David.

BUT, there is a work around.

Decide whatever you want the folder to be called.
Add that folder to Dropbox
Use Selective Sync to unsync and remove it from your local Dropbox
Wait for the green tick
Re-add the folder to Dropbox and it will display grey. It will stay local and not sync but you can add and work on it like any other folder.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Is there a way to have online files only locally?

LQL New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Sorry for replying to this expired post. I have the same use case with @David H.87 . The method like @Mark is too much trouble. I think Dropbox add a reg to filter files or dirs is not a diffict thing, how about add a filter to dropbox? @Walter 

Re: Is there a way to have online files only locally?

Dropboxer
Hey there @LQL,

Walter is currently out of office now so I’ll happily help out with your query!

Currently this isn’t possible to do within Dropbox with a specific setting. We do have an ongoing thread here where users are inputting their request for something like a “folder ignore” option for syncing if you’d like to share your thoughts there too. 

If you have any other questions about this then do let me know - Cheers! 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Is there a way to have online files only locally?
3 Replies
3 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post