Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Re: Just take me to my file explorer

New member | Level 2

I second this request. This new behaviour is horrible. It would be nice to be able to choose between the old behaviour and GUI that we all love and the new the we all hate. 

Freedom of choice is not a bad thing. 

Dropboxer
Hey there @DPSweet,

Hmm. thinking face Could you try a simple reinstall of the desktop app? Maybe that will do the trick. 

More information
To do this, ensure as a first step to save and quit all programs that access files in the Dropbox folder and then:
1. Stop Dropbox (If needed):
  • Select the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom of your screen.
  • Click on your profile picture or initials to the right of the search bar.
  • Choose Quit Dropbox.
2. Uninstall Dropbox (please note that if Dropbox was installed by a Windows administrator in Program Files, you will need admin permissions to remove the app).
  • Click on the Start button on the bottom left of your screen, select "Control Panel" (7), or type Control Panel at the Start screen or start menu, and click on it (10, smiling face with sunglasses.
  • Click Uninstall a Program.
  • Select Dropbox from the list of programs.
  • Click Uninstall.
3. When the uninstall finishes, reboot your computer (this will make sure the uninstall is complete).

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

I am having this issue also, tried reinstall and still doesn't work.

Dropboxer
Hey @JVSP, sorry to hear that and thanks for giving the re-installation a try. 

I’ve followed up with a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile so as to have a more in-depth look on the matter. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

New "browser" actually doesn't have ANY functions of browser.. I can't do anything there. New app and new "browser" don't even allow to delete file, see file structure or manage it properly. All it looks like glorified smartphone\androdid "files" app. Except that I can't even open or see preview of any images, even jpeg. Not to mention that new context menu is abysmal by its use of spac and unreadable, unintuitive  UI.

Super User II

@DPSweet wrote:

Unfortunately, Dropbox is ignoring my preferences and continuing to launch the new desktop client when I click the taskbar icon instead of opening my Dropbox folder in File Explorer.

Make sure you're double-clicking the icon. A single-click will always open the Dropbox app. A double-click will open Finder/Explorer if that's what you've selected in Preferences.

New member | Level 2

@Lusil wrote:
Hey there @DPSweet,

Hmm. thinking face Could you try a simple reinstall of the desktop app? Maybe that will do the trick. 

It seems that a simple restart of Windows has gotten Dropbox to start obeying my preference settings now, thanks.

New member | Level 2

@Rich wrote:

Make sure you're double-clicking the icon. A single-click will always open the Dropbox app. A double-click will open Finder/Explorer if that's what you've selected in Preferences.

Thanks for the suggestion. Interestingly, now that I've restarted my machine, Dropbox obeys my preferences and opens in File Explorer both when I single click and double click. Since I am uninterested in using the app, this is perfectly welcome behavior for me.

New member | Level 2

No one, absolutely no one, wants a Dropbox file manager. This is a terrible decision on what used to be a near perfect piece of software. As a paying user, I feel cheated because the product I paid for has been altered substantially without my consent.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 3

This is a disaster. I am leaving tomorrow to make an important presentation. My Dropbox has been trustworthy and indispensible. Now it crashes when I click on any file. The new Dropbox app is unmanageable. I have followed every instruction suggested in the Community. Unlink, reboot. Re-download, re-install, re-boot ....3-4 times. 

Turning preferences to Explorer and rebooting does not get rid of the App. I need a powerful fix on steroids to avoid a disaster.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Just take me to my file explorer
24 Replies
24 Likes