Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

no

Highlighted

KMZ Files Download but are Empty

DJG
Explorer | Level 3

I am experiencing problems with files I uploaded into my dropbox last week. I uploaded several KMZ files to dropbox and then deleted the files from my local device (apple iphone). When I log into dropbox on my computer (Dell Inspirion 11 3000 series) I can see all the files I uploaded.  I can also see these same files in windows explorer and the files sizes range from 19,343 to 160,276 KB. I can successfully download the files but have tried several different ways to view them with no success.

First, when I open the KMZ files in Google Earth, Google Earth opens without giving an error message but also without displaying the KMZ document in either the table of contents or in the map display.

Second, I tried to use ArcMap to import the file and the program told me “Error 000401: No features were found for processing”

Third, I changed the file extension from KMZ to KML in windows explorer. I followed the two previous steps and got the same results as the initial tries with the KMZ.

I have previously done this (upload KMZ files from my phone to dropbox and then download them from my Dell computer and viewed them in Google Earth \ imported into Arcmap) multiple times without any issue. Why is it suddenly not working? This is valuable information to me and I appreciate help recovering these files.

1 Reply

Re: KMZ Files Download but are Empty

Dropboxer
Hey there ,

As Dropbox will sync the file as it is uploaded originally and wouldn’t edit or alter the files, I’m not sure there is much I can suggest here. 

Since you mentioned that the files in your file explorer show that the files have data and are not showing 0 KB, then perhaps there was an issue with the original file that was uploaded? Otherwise, have you ensured that you have the most recent updated versions of the programs used to open the files? 

Regarding the error message that you received from ArcMap, I did a little digging and found this article which may be of some help in figuring out what caused this issue or to help work around it from Esri Support (the developer of the software).

I hope this helps at least to some extent, let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

KMZ Files Download but are Empty
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post