cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Keeping a Document Private or only accessible to few individuals

Helpful | Level 6

Hello! 

I want to double check the best way to keep a document only accessible to a few persons in an organization.  

1. Make sure to create a document in the home page of Paper

2. Make sure to create a document within a folder that no one has access to

What we found was when we created a document in a folder where people already had permission to view documents, these people then could open the document. 

We just want to make sure we are following all the best guidlines to keeping docs secure! Could you send me any other tips that we should consider? 

Best,

Rebekah 

3 Replies

Re: Keeping a Document Private or only accessible to few individuals

Dropboxer

Hey there Rebekah - welcome to our forums and thanks for using Paper!

I'll send you what I think you'll find useful and if you have any more specific questions, feel free to let me know here and I'll make sure to check back with you as soon as possible.

Now, keep in mind that Paper folders allow you to collect multiple documents, and make it easy to share and collaborate on these docs with your team.

Folders can be accessible and discoverable to your whole team through search, or they can be private to you and the people you invite to collaborate in.

Please note:
- A doc cannot be added to more than one folder.
- If you're on a Dropbox Business team or a free team, the folder will be accessible to everyone in your team by default. If you set the folder to invite-only, the folder will be available only to people that you invite.

To learn more about the permissions and how to set them, please visit our Help Center page: https://www.dropbox.com/help/paper/share-doc

Moreover, if you'd like to modify the settings for your team on Paper (assuming you're the team's Admin), please follow these steps: 

1. Navigate to https://paper.dropbox.com
  2. Click your avatar on the top-right corner of the screen (if you have not set an avatar, your initials are displayed)
  3. Click Settings
  4. Click Team settings

You will then be directed to a Dropbox page where you can modify your team settings.

To learn more about Paper settings, see this article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/paper/admin-settings-business-teams

If you would like to pin a Paper doc to the top of a folder collection, you can do so by adding the pushpin emoji into the doc title.

To learn how to create Paper folders or how to add a doc to a folder, please visit this Help Center page: https://www.dropbox.com/help/paper/folders

Last but not least, bear in mind that newly created docs are private by default. Once you begin sharing the doc with others, you have the option of restricting sharing by disabling link access. Doing so means that only people you have invited can access your doc.

1. Click the blue Invite button at the top of your Paper doc.
  2. Click "Link settings"
  3. Toggle "Who can open this doc" setting to "Only people invited".
  4. Select whether those with the link can edit or only comment by default.
  5. Click the blue Done button.

Apologies for the lengthy response - I sure hope this information helps though @Rmade3!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

Thank you for this! Totally understand your notes about folders, and thanks for further explaining that folders can be made private as well. 

Question, though. You say that new documents are private by default. 

But, if you create a new doc within a folder that is shareable, isn't it the case that that document is at least searchable within that folder, even if you change the settings inthe doc to be 'only those invited'? I think we experienced an issue where that was the case... 

Maybe I am wrong, though! 
Thank you for explaining further! 

Helpful | Level 6

Aha! 

Your FAQs answered my question: 

Who can see my docs? 

If you create a private doc that’s not inside of a folder (unfiled), you’re the only person that will be able to search for and edit it—until you decide to share it. 

If you create a doc within a folder, all members of that folder can open, search for, and edit your doc. 

Anyone with the link to your doc will be able to edit it. Learn how to change that setting.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Keeping a Document Private or only accessible to few individuals
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post