Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Lightroom-Library in Dropbox

Level 2

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a way to save my Lightroom library and catalog in Dropbox and just edit it online.
I know that you can simply use the Finder to select the appropriate Dropbox folder, but the problem is that Dropbox downloads the photos first. After the changes they will be uploaded again.

Of course this is not optimal, especially if it is a larger folder with many RAW files. Then it takes a long time to download, temporarily takes up memory on my hard drive, and it has to be uploaded again.

Is there a plugin for it, a manual way or is it simply not possible at the moment?

I would be very happy about helpful answers!
Many thanks and best regards,
Emanuel

3 Replies

Re: Lightroom-Library in Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey there Emanuel (@emufy) - how are you today?

While there isn't anything I can think of at the moment to achieve this directly (apart from maybe using only the website to do this and not the desktop app at all), as for you to work on 3rd party apps the files will need to be downloaded to your device and then be set as 'Online Only' again (simply by right clicking on them) after you're done editing them; I would suggest creating a separate folder for this specific purpose and keep it as small (size-wise) as you can to avoid re-syncing such a large amount of data when you need to re-set those files/folders to 'Online Only'.

I know it's not the anser you were looking for, yet, I hope it helps to some extent. 

On a side note, I'll leave this thread open for any similar-minded users that might want to pitch in with additional ideas. 

Let me know if you have anything else to ask or add Emanuel; I'll be happy to follow up.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hey there Walter,

First of all many thanks for your quick answer.
All right, of course I've already thought about your solution. I had the hope that there was a way around it or a plugin. Only working on the website will unfortunately not work, with Lightroom I have to select a source folder via the Finder, there I can't refer to any website.

It's a shame that there is no plugin (yet). It would be really cool if Lightroom and Dropbox could be migrated. Maybe an idea for the future? After all, Dropbox is the most trusted and secure cloud provider with the best features and Adobe Lightroom is one of the most powerful photo editing tools. So it wouldn't be absurd if there were a collaboration in the future, I think.

Best regards,

Emanuel

Dropboxer

Thanks for your swift response too Emanuel!

I completely understand where you're coming from and I'll make sure to pass your comments on to the relevant team for future consideration - thank you for this feedback!

On a side note, I'd suggest also reaching out to the developers of Lightroom (i.e. Adobe) and let them know about this too as they're the ones that would need to integrate their service with Dropbox through our API.

You could also try a web search for any 3rd party app or service that might be offering this functionality.

If you happen to have any more questions or feedback to share in the meantime, you know where to find us Emanuel winking face

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Lightroom-Library in Dropbox
3 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post