cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listen to music via dropbox

Listen to music via dropbox

jan m.17
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I placed my music in dropbox. If I want to listen directly using dropbox, I can listen only to one song at a time I had to select an other song in a folder to listen again. Is there a possibility to listen to more songs or a complete CD?

78 Replies 78

liafail
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It just doesn't make sense for google to produce dropbox and want people to go beyound the free service and not make a simple music play list music player available.

To some this is a very good reason not to pay for a service that does't seem to have the users as the number one priority. Make the sevice useable in evey way and continue to make it user frendly and the customer base will grow.

Now it seems like you are limiting what you want the service to do and don't care what the users want. Not good business.

Dale

Yan M.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Frustrated Dropbox users, welcome to check out BoxStream, and Android app for playing music from your Dropbox account: [link to external website removed according to our Community Guidelines].

JoPe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Sadly, DropBox does not implement the necessary functionality to make this painless. The "make available offline" functionality is the only way how to get a whole directory or directory structure stored on the Android device, but the files which are synced that way cannot be discovered by the usual music apps because they are stored only in the app directory and in a way that is not usable. 
Syncing with the Android device should allow to store directories in dedicated media folders and also on an SD storage device, if present, but DropBox does not provide this. 
This is extremely basic and something everyone would expect from a Cloud storage solution, yet DropBox has failed for a long time now to provide this and continues to respond with "solutions" which are just absurd, like exporting every single file individually, without any option of actual syncing. 
Very disappointed by this. 

Landeplage
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I listen to music on my dropbox app all the time. Please add a feature to swipe to the next or previous file!

lOurs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hello dopboxers

I'm thinking about a pro account because I would like to acces to all my music database, on the ios mobile app it's ok to play one file but is there a way to play a folder content or at least several files ?

Thanks

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @lOurs, it looks like you’d like to play items from a folder of audio files, so it would be worth noting that it will not progress automatically to the next file as you’re listening to your .mp3s. 

From there, kindly note that this isn't currently an available Dropbox feature, however I appreciate the time you took to drop us a line detailing us your interest! I’ve moved your comment to under the relevant thread, just to add your voice to the feedback we’re gathering, since you could upvote :ballot_box_with_ballot: this feature implementation here to show your support. 

Thanks & please let me know here in case you have any additional questions or thoughts! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Songbirdflying
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is the music player going to become more usable at some point.  I would just like to have a bar to slide forward to get to the end of the song when i am looking for a certain spot.  Really hoping you update the music player.  I love dropbox otherwise and am slowly cleaning up my various systems and getting all the music files in just one place online. Thank you.  But updating the player so i am not stuck using itunes would be a blessing.  Detest itunes and how controlling it is.  I need to be able to easily change file titles and and have control of what folders they go into and this has been the perfect solution.  A multi-functional player would make if perfect.

Songbirdflying
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the paid version of MediaMonkey on my Windows system and it reads from Dropbox as if they are on my computer and works great.  But on my iMac it sorta works with itunes and i finally got the made a duplicate in itues setting turned off.  But really hoping there is a solution for Mac.  I updated my IOS to the latest update and utterly hate the new version of itunes and so wish there was something else i could be using on Mac.

Songbirdflying
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I may have just found a solution that works for me.  Just hunted the app store and downloaded a simple free version of Music Player lite.  There is a paid version but i am able to click and drag and make a temporary playlist and then just hit the delete button to get rid of them and was still able to make a file name change while it was playing.  Simple but when i need to play a few songs or hear something this may just cover my needs.  Not sure what else it can do with the paid version but this was all i was wanting, to have a simple playlist when needed, don't want to save them just have more flexibility.

RuiPT
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How do you make MediaMonkey read media files from Dropbox? (I never heard of MediaMonkey)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jan m.17 Helpful | Level 6
    Grae Matter Explorer | Level 4
    PG_VoiceFirst Explorer | Level 4
    Gizmofo New member | Level 2
    gravelld Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?