cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked folder that can't be removed?

Locked folder that can't be removed?

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Forum members,

I have a folder that was sent to me by a client a couple of years ago that I can't remove from my Dropbox. The folder has a grey padlock on the bottom left corner and also an X in a red circle on the bottom right corner - see screen shot. I am using a Mac with OS Mojave 10.14.6

Can anyone advise how to remove this folder as I dont have authority to unlock it.

Screen Shot 2019-08-21 at 8.38.19 pm.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@enjayare, may be something else have happened. Probably immutable flag have been set. If so, you can trow it out using: "sudo chflags nouchg /Users/njrcon/Dropbox/Tender\ -\ 160\ Brook\ St\,\ Coogee" and/or "sudo chflags noschg /Users/njrcon/Dropbox/Tender\ -\ 160\ Brook\ St\,\ Coogee". Try it, just to be sure.

Finally give the result from "ls -lO /Users/njrcon/Dropbox/Tender\ -\ 160\ Brook\ St\,\ Coogee" or just take a look on get info window to check is "Locked" is still checked.

View solution in original post

39 Replies 39

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @enjayare, thanks for the screenshot, definitely provides a better understanding of your concern.

In general, the red circle with the x means that something is wrong, and Dropbox isn’t syncing this folder

For this reason, could you please check if the desktop app is running by locating the Dropbox icon that should be next to your computer's clock?

If you don't find it, it means that the desktop app isn't running and thus not syncing. In this case, please manually relaunch it from your applications menu. 

If you do see it, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what it reads when you hover over it?

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Lusil,

Is this one you mean?

Screen Shot 2019-08-26 at 7.39.56 pm.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @enjayare,

The problem is not in the application. Seems you have changed access rights to that folder (probably by mistake). Fix the permissions (through folder settings) and lets hope everything will be fine. :wink:

Hope this helps.

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello 3Apabko,

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello again 3Apabko,

This did not work because when I logged in under test the folder did not show up in my drop box. It only seems to show up in the finder window when when I open my dropbox files from the icon in the top menu bar??? Even when I open dropbox.com on the web the folder does not show up???

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @enjayare,

The problem seems not just permissions, but owning. Your can read this for more information how to revert owning. It's normal when you switch to different user not to see directly Dropbox folder of the initial user. :wink: Every user have their own such folder. You have to be still able to navigate to appropriate Dropbox directory - just go to appropriate user directory first. Or may be the terminal solution would be better. The choice is yours. :wink:

Hope this gives additional direction.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi again @enjayare

Adding to what @Здравко suggested, can you try and remove the folder by quitting the Dropbox desktop app and dragging it to another location or outside of your Dropbox folder?

Let me know if that helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello 3Apabko, 

I tried to use the terminal but it kept saying illegal user name? Maybe I wasn't entering the info correctly? Also becasue the file was not mine in the first place does this mean that I can never remove it?

enjayare
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello Lusil,

I'm not usre how to do this? how do I drag the folder out after I have closed the desktop application?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rothm New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    ARGPVA Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?