cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Losing the end of files

Losing the end of files

sclarke1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have noticed that when I upload mp3 files at 192 kbps into DropBox that the file gets shortened. The longer the file, the more it gets shortened. I do not have this problem when uploading mp3's at 128kbps and below. We are talking about 1 second per 10 minutes of audio. The files aren't time compressed. When others open the file, the end is cut off. The easy answer is  to add a few seconds of dead space, but I feel I shouldn't have to do this.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

sclarke1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The answer to this problem appears to be related to Adobe software upgrades as opposed to a DropBox problem. Some of our partners would like certain mp3 files saved at 192 kbps. Adobe 1.0 doesn't appear to offer that setting; therefore we use Adobe CS6 program to save at 192 in the Dropbox folder. It turns out that when you open those files using Adobe 1.0 the files are cut and the longer the file the greater the cut. It appears to be about 1 second per 10-12 minutes.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

sclarke1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I believe I found my own answer on this.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @sclarke1 - welcome to our Community :notes:

Care to share the answer you found with us here as it might help other users bumping into the same issue? 

Thanks so much and happy 2020! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

sclarke1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The answer to this problem appears to be related to Adobe software upgrades as opposed to a DropBox problem. Some of our partners would like certain mp3 files saved at 192 kbps. Adobe 1.0 doesn't appear to offer that setting; therefore we use Adobe CS6 program to save at 192 in the Dropbox folder. It turns out that when you open those files using Adobe 1.0 the files are cut and the longer the file the greater the cut. It appears to be about 1 second per 10-12 minutes.

dlikuski
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
This is a continued problem 2 years after first being reported— so Dropbox, what gives!? I transfer a 95 minute song-strung file (from Garageband) as a m4a and aif (uncompressed) and regardless of the two sizes, with 14 seconds left, 3-4 seconds are MUTED before continuing around the -0:10 second mark. Not cool. When each song is played separately as created files that way, no problems. Therefore, if it is a size problem with the aforementioned strung file (about 1 GB as aif and 1/10 that for m4a), please let us know, but if not, please fix this annoying problem! Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @dlikuski; thanks for joining our discussion here and sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please clarify some things for me?

1. How are you uploading those files in the first place?
2. Does this affect the preview of the files on our website or do you notice the same when you download them and open them locally on your devices?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

dlikuski
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Pardon the late response, Walter, yet I have been busy communicating with one of your colleagues [Faith] via email help-inquiry and sent the file to her last night, as referece.  Perhaps she has communicated with you since.  Either way, I will bring you up to speed by mentioning that I export the file from Garageband as aif (uncompressed) which is about 1 GB in size.  I import that file from my folder on my macbook to where I want it among my Dropbox (DB) folders using Safari (if that matters).  In regards to previewing, if you mean the dynamic-range/vertical-bar method, that is where the problem occurs.  I normally let if play in default auto mode for quality, yet have tried also at 256 and the problem still happens.  This is also the case when trying as an exported m4a (aac) file roughly 1/10 the size.  I am referring at the moment only to using my laptop, yet when trying to listen on my phone to it on DB either via app or website, same problem.

Hopefully that helps.  I heard back from Faith a little while ago confirming that she has my file to share with the team and we'll see how it goes.  

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for keeping me in the loop @dlikuski.

If the files are below 1 GB they should be previewed normally; can you double check if this affects files smaller than 1 GB?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

cyy 1111
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Walter

I am experiencing similar issues too. 

I share audio recordings with a group of colleagues from my dropbox. Many have feedback that the recording stopped at the 15min mark. The recording is done via an android phone and sent to my iPhone. I usually convert it to mp3 at 128k before uploading to the dropbox.  The audio recording is about 30 to 35mins long. File size is about 35mb. Thanks. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @cyy 1111; thanks for joining our discussion here.

As this Help Center article outlines, to play a shared video or audio file in its entirety, you'll need to save it to your Dropbox account by clicking Save to Dropbox at the top of the file preview.

Otherwise, you and your colleagues can download it to your devices by clicking Download and opening it locally. 

I hope this helps!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    cyy 1111 New member | Level 2
    dlikuski Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?