Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Lost files after updating operating system

New member | Level 2

The operating system on my laptop became obsolete for Dropbox, but I kept storing new versions of stuff in Dropbox on that computer. When I finally updated the operating system, I was hoping Dropbox would again sync with my office desktop, but it didn't. I tried downloading Dropbox again onto my laptop and nothing seemed to change. Someone told me to log into dropbox online on both computers and they should sync. It didn't seem to change anything. Somewhere I found that I was linked to 5 different things and since basic says that I can only be linked to 3, I thought that might be the problem. I could tell which ones I most recently activated, so unlinked from 2 that I guessed were older. When things seemed to be working, I went into files and found out the the latest versions that I had saved on my laptop were gone - seems that the current version must have come from my office computer which did not have the latest versions of files and folders (those were on my laptop). I guess I thought that the latest version from which ever source would be the last version saved. But it seems like the stuff that had been saved in my laptop Dropbox folder has disappeared. It does not show up within version history. I'm thinking it might be in a folder that I unlinked. Is it somewhere that I can still access?? I would really like to restore that old dropbox folder that I had on my laptop before any of the updates!! I am not the most computer savy and now realize I probably should have done things differently...but do I have any hope for restoration?? Thank you!!

1 Reply

Re: Lost files after updating operating system

Dropboxer

Hi there @aab1

The first thing I'd recommend is to check your events page as it lists any changes that occurred to your account. 

If you find any files that were accidentally deleted, you can recover them as per this article

If you're still having trouble with this though, due to account-specific info that'll be required to look into this matter, please contact our Support team via this link

Hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Lost files after updating operating system
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post