Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Main Drive on PC Died. Old drive appears to have booted and completely messed up dropbox

New member | Level 2

So, it appears that my dropbox is entirely screwed. I've been using it for years to backup my files for myself and also clients.

About 2 weeks ago I got home and turned on my PC. It wasnt working, and I gave it some time and came back to it. It had booted up and I logged in as usual..

However, heres where things go sideways.

It appears that the main drive on the PC that I had dropbox on, died. So what we 'think' happened is an old drive with dropbox (old files) was 'synced' when it booted.

So everything I have is gone. None of the files from my most recent dropbox are there.

I'm freaking out.. is there a way to restore everything back to a certain date?

Or, is there a way to restore all the files that were deleted? I was getting notifications that 10's of thousands of files were deleted when I was on my laptop (which was/is synced with dropbox) but none of my files are here either. Just empty folders.

18 Replies

Re: Main Drive on PC Died. Old drive appears to have booted and completely messed up dropbox

Super User II
Hi

As long as it happened within 30 days you can request a rollback via www.dropbox.com/support which you can then track at http://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies do take a few days, however.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Main Drive on PC Died. Old drive appears to have booted and completely messed up dropbox

New member | Level 2
Thank you. But I don't see any option to rollback. These are the only options I see when I click dropbox.com/support

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3fn7fkr1j93500/Screenshot%202017-12-02%2009.51.39.png?dl=0

New member | Level 2
And when I go to 'email support' its asking for 1 path of 1 file.. but I have 10's of thousands of files that were deleted, that I never deleted. I need to talk to someone not use their system to enter 1 file at a time.

Super User II
You cant talk to somebody unless you are a paying Business customer I'm afraid.

You need to choose one of the files that is affected and explain the rest in the comments section. It often helps if you can find the first one of the issue

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

New member | Level 2
This is nuts. I didn't delete anything. I didn't do anything. Dropbox went ahead and deleted who knows how many thousands of files, and I can't reach anyone to help me with this? You gotta be joking me.

What horrible, horrible support by dropbox.

I can't even get to a place where I can actually email support. It's just a runaround in circles.

Super User II
Dropbox has, by your own admission, probably followed instructions from another device - it can only do what its told to do.

You CAN get support and you CAN get it rolled back and fixed by logging a ticket as I said in the first post.

You were on the page previously, just put the information on to that using a link from www.dropbox.com/events and let the restore team get back to you.

If you want to be doubly sure once its logged go to ZenDesk and add more info to the ticket.

However, posting requests here will not work I'm afraid. It HAS to be a ticket.

New member | Level 2
That makes no sense because I have several computers synced to dropbox. By my own admission I did nothing. It simply looks like a PC with an old dropbox install booted up. So, why is dropbox pulling everything from that one old install? Why isnt it staying up to date from the sync of all my other computers? My other computers were fine, but have now been taken over by the 'old' dropbox.

New member | Level 2
Thank you for your help. As you can imagine, having hundreds of thousands of files deleted by nobody except dropbox itself is extremely frustrating and scary at the same time. I pay for dropbox to avoid problems like this. So when something like this happens, due to nothing I personally did, its quite shocking. Plus, no support? Really?

Here is a screenshot I took of my 'deleted files' in dropbox. It wont load, and just keeps on spinning:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o507tlbrhyw6ri6/Screenshot%202017-12-02%2010.18.34.png?dl=0

Super User II
It can happen when you connect old drives to Dropbox if they are very out of date (different database versions) or it wasnt up to date when shut down (i.e. at a green tick).

And yes, I didnt think you'd be able to restore yourself which is why I said log a ticket. Over about 10,000 files and support need to do it for you.

As a paying user you will get priority support, but, you cannot talk to somebody. You HAVE to log a ticket.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Main Drive on PC Died. Old drive appears to have booted and completely messed up dropbox
18 Replies
5 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post