Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

Meaning and accuracy of Dropbox desktop app status messages (Indexing, Uploading, Downloading)

Explorer | Level 4

I have been using Smart Sync for a few weeks and have finally got to grips with it, but I am extremely frustrated by the lack of meaningful 'queue status' information available from the Windows desktop app.

Right now my PC is syncing some (online only) folder moves. I can see (dir /ta) the files being accessed by the app, and I can see evidence of moves being left in .dropbox.cache - thousands of them chugging along. But the status message shown by the app just showed 'Indexing 72 files' for ages (no time estimate); now, it says 'Up to date', though I can see that the app is still processing the folder moves.

How can I tell exactly what is going on at any given point? Uploads and downloads are reasonably easy to track after they've occurred, because the app usually if not always lists them under Recent. But queued uploads and downloads, 'localising', 'onlining', and folder moves are completely opaque except for the mysterious 'Indexing' status, and there is no accessible log or queue that I can find anywhere.

This is crying out for 'show queue' / 'show log' functions, are these available or planned?

2 Replies

Re: Meaning and accuracy of Dropbox desktop app status messages (Indexing, Uploading, Downloading)

Super User II

@MandyShaw wrote:

This is crying out for 'show queue' / 'show log' functions, are these available or planned?

Not available, sadly, but hopefully will come soon.

Dropbox doesnt give roadmaps of features :(

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Meaning and accuracy of Dropbox desktop app status messages (Indexing, Uploading, Downloading)

Explorer | Level 4

Thanks - I look forward to a time when I can tell whether I need to leave my PC on overnight or not <grin>

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Meaning and accuracy of Dropbox desktop app status messages (Indexing, Uploading, Downloading)
2 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post