Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Migrated to Dropbox Business

New member | Level 2

Hello, 

After many years of using dropbox as an individual, I purchased Dropbox for Business. I copied the entire content of my NAS into the Dropbox cloud, which took almost 3 weeks

Today I discovered that almost all of my music and videos, several Terabytes, which are stored in the Dropbox cloud with the correct file size but the content is entirely made of zero's. I mean hex 0x0000000, for the whole file. I used a Hex editor to look into the files on the cloud because of course those files dont play. The originals are still fine.

Has anyone seen anything similar? WIll I have to spend another 15 days to upload it again? How to be sure the same will not happen?

5 Replies

Re: Migrated to Dropbox Business

Dropboxer
Hey there @machado312

As a first step, could you let me know how you copied the files over to your Dropbox? Did you do copy them directly to the website or the desktop app?

Could you also provide me with a bit more info on the NAS itself and how it’s connected to the network? Does it have it’s own OS or is it connected to a device? Is the Dropbox folder located on the NAS, or conencted to your account via another service?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hello and thanks for your response

I have a mac mini, which servers as my file server. Connected to it by USB I have a simple NAS. I installed the desktop Dropbox app on this computer, created the team folders using the dropbox web interface and copied my files to the dropbox folder on the hard disk (flash) of the server with a simple drag and drop mac OS copy.

Since the NAS is much bigger then the mini flash, I copied some files, 400G at a time, waited for them to sync to the dropbox cloud, marked the folders as "online only", waited for the dropbox app to delete the files and folders on my mini server, but leaving the folder structure in place, and then copied some more. This process took 2 weeks.

Now, yesterday, trying to listen and view some audio and video files, I noticed it did not work. I then tried the dropbox web interface (streaming), which said the format is recognized but that something was wrong. I then marked some files as local and opened them in a hex editor in the mini server and to my surprise, saw that the file was composed of 0x0000000. The file sizes were correct, but the content is only zero's.

Any idea why this happened? It did not happen with all the files I copied, only music and video, mostly. And not even all video and music files, about 80% of them. Other files, word documents, pdf, etc.. look OK

Dropboxer
Thanks for the swift reply, . 

This sounds like the files didn’t get placed/copied into the Dropbox folder correctly. The desktop app can only upload and sync content as placed into the Dropbox folder. 

Hmm. thinking face Could you try the following and let me know how it goes?
  • Find a file that doesn’t play correctly in your Dropbox.
  • Locate it in your server. 
  • Copy it from the server.
  • Paste it into your Dropbox folder (in any location). 
Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

I have tried this. I copied a file from the NAS into the dropbox app folder. It replaces the file (after asking if I do want to replace it), syncs to the cloud and then the file is fine, when I bring it back to the server dropbox app folders or use the web interface

Could it be some dropbox encryption key that is not working for some of my files?

Dropboxer
Thanks for getting back to me, @machado312

It does sound like some of the files didn’t copy across to the Dropbox folder that’s in the MacMini correctly the first time. 

For this reason, although not ideal, I’d recommend finding which files don’t play as they should, copy-paste them again into the Dropbox folder, and ensure that they are fully synced before marking them to be online-only

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Migrated to Dropbox Business
5 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post