Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Missing Files after re-organising

New member | Level 2

Hello, 

My colleague reorganised/renamed a big important folder using the desktop application (not online via browser). We have noticed that several folders within it have gone missing and do not appear in the trash. I have tried to search the version history but it says it's not available. Could someone please help with this? It's extremely important we recover these files. 

Thanks. 

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: Missing Files after re-organising

Dropboxer

Hey there @MFR1,

As a first step, can you let me know if the desktop app where the folder was edited from has finished syncing? You can see this by checking the sync status of the app and checking it's showing "Up to date". If there are any error messages, can you send me a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of that?

Also, can you check your Events page here as it might give you a better idea of the actions taken on the folder and help you to locate those missing folders. Please note that if things have been renamed/moved that you would see a deletion and addition for this event.

Finally, if you are still not able to locate these then I'd suggest checking out your Deleted files page here or searching your Dropbox account (using the search bar) to locate some of the files/folders that are missing. If you see them within the Deleted files page then you can try to restore the files.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Thank you! I had a look through the events page and can't seem to find the folders we've lost. The folder was actually updated on the web version, not the desktop app as I originally thought. 

Are you able to arrange for someone to call us? We really need this folder and haven't been able to locate it anywhere. 

Dropboxer

Hey @MFR1,

I would recommend checking what support options are available to you from our Support page here, please just make sure you're signed into your Dropbox account so you can see the relevant options for your plan.

If you're a Business team admin, you should have access to phone support and you can find the details you need from the Help tab within the Admin console.

I hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Missing Files after re-organising
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post