cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Missing "Copy Dropbox link"

Missing "Copy Dropbox link" from the drop down menu on Mac

RobM4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi!

For years now I have used the right click - copy drop box link to allow people to download files from my dropbox. All of sudden in the past couple weeks that option is no longer available in that drop down mwnu. Drop Box app is running, and the app logo is present at the top of my desktop. I have unlinked and re-linked my computer. Running OS X El Capitan, Macbook Air.

Please help

Thanks

Rob

39 Replies 39

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @goddos, thanks for keeping us up to date with your progress and glad to hear that you were able to resolve it by re-installing the app. 

If you have any other questions in the future, please don’t hesitate to get back to give me a shout and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Have a great week ahead!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

wallywld
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This problem has been happening in the last few versions and is more common when the dropbox folder has many files.

It's happening on several of our systems running High Sierra and above.

Sometimes restarting the dropbox application helps, but eventually starts happening again. My finder extension is installed and checked to run.

This might require further investigation from the dropbox team.

W

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @wallywld,

Could you please provide me with the following, so as to have a better understanding of the behavior you're experiencing:

• Are you unable to see the option to copy a link from the desktop app with folders or files?
  • Additionally, does this occur when the files/folders are at the top level of your Dropbox folder or in a specific folder? 
  • If it's inside a folder, could you please confirm if it's a personal/regular or shared folder?
  • Finally, could you please clarify if you're able to copy the shared link of the same files/folders when you navigate to them via the website?

Thanks in advance for gathering this info for me!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Richardious
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I had same problem this worked for me.  I have an optimizing app running that "sleeps" all apps that are not being used and wakes them only when I activate them.  Dropbox was in sleep mode.  I've told it to ignore the dropbox app and not to sleep it. 

cpaiva
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having this issue.  I followed all the steps you listed, but I don't have a "Dropbox" option once I navigate to Extensions > Find Extension.  I only have the following; please help?

Rotate

Mark-up

Create PDF

Trim

JPG Convert

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @cpaiva, sorry to hear that you're also having trouble with this - let's see what we can find. 

As a first step, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of exactly what you're seeing?

Could you also let me know what your Dropbox icon reads when you hover over it in your system tray or menu bar?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Richardious
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I solved my issue.  It turns out there was third party software designed to optimize system performance that was "sleeping" the dropbox app.  Once I disabled that, the dropbox link reappeared.  check to see that your dropbox app is actually running if you are having an issue.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for letting us know what did the trick for you and apologies for missing your post, @Richardious!

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to give us a shout and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible.

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

salkiwi
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you thank you thank you pickles-n-milk! I've spent numerous hours trying to resolve this. I've never even looked at the extensions button in System Preferences. This fixed it straight away. You are a super-star!

jaaph
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This worked for me!

Thanks!

Need more support?