cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Mobile Uploads, File Renaming, and Uploading Pics from my Actual Camera (not my iPhone)

Explorer | Level 3

My iPhone uploads pics into my DropBox Camera Uploads Folder, and renames them to be the date and time the image was taken (something Apple should consider emulating). I love having these pics and videos automatically indexed by the date and time they were TAKEN (not uploaded) because then the names are meaningful and things are searchable.

However, I'm not sure how to accomplish this with pics from my real camera, which are on an SD card. I'd love to upload them to DropBox and have the same "renaming" occure, but DropBox Support says this is not possible from the desktop app. Any ideas? I would love to keep things consistent, and clear of some of my SD cards!

Cheers, Dave

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Mobile Uploads, File Renaming, and Uploading Pics from my Actual Camera (not my iPhone)

Dropboxer

Hey @Dave2020, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community - welcome aboard!

Although it's not currently possible to change the name of the photos added automatically to your Dropbox account with the camera uploads feature, you can manually upload them to keep the original file name.

You can also post any thoughts on new features you'd like to see in the future in our Share an idea so that other users who share the same interest comment and upvote.

I hope this helps!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Mobile Uploads, File Renaming, and Uploading Pics from my Actual Camera (not my iPhone)

Explorer | Level 3

Lusil,

I'm confused. You said, "It is not currently possible to change the name of the photos added automatically to your Dropbox account with the camera uploads feature," but that is, in fact, exactly what it does do (from my iPhone Dropbox app), and that is why I love it. It gives me new names which are meaningful.

Then you say," you can manually upload them to keep the original file name," but that is the exact opposite of what I am trying to accomplish. I would like for my pics to be renamed to be the date and time they were taken. For instance, a photo I took today with my iPhone has now been uploaded (automatically) to my DropBox for Business account, and the photo has been renamed to: 2020-01-24 12.39.06.heic

This renaming is great because I can now search my folder and find the image taken on that date and time.

What I would like to do is upload pics and videos from my Sony camera, which live on SD cards, and put them in Dropbox through my iMac, using the Dropbox for desktop app, BUT have that desktop app rename those pics and videos the same way Dropbox (Mobile?) renamed then when uploading them from my iPhone. Make sense?

Thanks, Dave

Dropboxer

Thanks for your descriptive reply, @Dave2020

When I wrote my initial reply, I meant to say that there's no way to automatically rename photos that have been added with the camera uploads feature - apologies for misplacing the word "automatically" like that.

Also, if you want to use the desktop camera uploads feature, it should rename the images the same way the mobile app would. 

If that's not what happens, let me know and I'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. Cheers!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Lusil, 

I never asked about renaming files which have already been added via the camera uploads feature, neither automatically nor manually. 

I am asking about how to upload photos from the desktop app, and have them undergo the same renaming, to be named the "date and time" (as shown in my last comment), which is how they get renamed when automatically uploaded from my phone.

When I upload anything from my desktop app, it keeps the origional file name, (e.g. DSC08039.JPG), which is not what I want.

Thanks,

Dave2020

Dropboxer

Thanks for nudging me back, @Dave2020

Have you turned on camera uploads for the desktop app by any chance? You can find the relevant steps to do this here

Let me know what you find!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

Lusil,

Camera Uploads has been turned on in the desktop app this entire time.

I did see the instructions for system requirements, and it sounds like it is written with the intention that we plug in a camera (with enough battery power - but plugging in a camera is not what I'm looking to do - althgouth if that's the only option, I could.)

What I am attempting is to plug in a SanDisc SSD hard drive into my iMac, so I can upload the pics from my SD card (taken with a Sony Mirrorless camera.) Will this not work from a external hard drive? In the Systen Requirements section (for Mac) on this page (https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/system-requirements), it states what we need for a hard drive, but is it referring to my iMac's hard drive, or the external drive I am plugging in? Also, if it is for the external drive, how do I know if it is HFS or APFS-formatted and that extended attributes are not disabled?:

• A HFS+ or APFS-formatted hard drive with extended attributes not disabled
    • This is true for most modern computers and hard drives

Thanks,

Dave

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Dave2020, camera uploads via the desktop applies to any new disk storage that can be hotplugged into the machine, so no internal storage.

This includes USB sticks, phones, cameras, SD cards, external hard drives and pretty much anything with external storage.

The system requirements you’re reading are only for running the Dropbox desktop application, and have nothing to do with camera uploads.

Regarding the photos, you state they were on an SD card, but now you’re going to plug in an SSD drive? Are the files in the SD card stored on the SSD? Are you upgrading your existing hard drive on your computer? Please could you clarify this aspect for me.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Jay

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Mobile Uploads, File Renaming, and Uploading Pics from my Actual Camera (not my iPhone)
7 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post