Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Move shared folder from my team member folder to team space

Explorer | Level 4

I'm using a business account and someone has shared a folder with me. This shared folder is in my team member folder where no one else on my team can access it. When I try to move it into the team space I get an error saying that it can't be moved.

How can I make a folder that has been shared from an external user available to the entire team?

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Move shared folder from my team member folder to team space

Dropboxer

Hey @chrismcfarling. Thanks for this question. 

If the user is not a member of the team, the system doesn't allow you to move it in your Team space to protect the owner's privacy. The owner might not want the rest of the users to see his folder. 

The solution would be to become the owner! smiling face with sunglasses How?

• Copy the folder. The copy will be owned by you and you can put it in the Team space.

Notepushpin The copy will not sync with the original folder. 

• Ask the owner to transfer ownership. Please find the steps to transfer ownership of a shared folder here

Let me know which solution could work better for you and any other questions you might have. 

Thank you! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

Duplicating the folder is not really desirable for several reasons. Having the original sender change ownership is probably the best approach. Although I see that as having some potential drawbacks as well.

Ideally the sender would be able to share directly with my team right at the start. I guess that would be a feature request.

Dropboxer

He can! slightly smiling face If he has the email addresses of your team members he could easily share with them. 

If he does that you will all see the folder in your purple folders and not in the Team space, though.

Hope this helps! 

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Yeah but I don't think that's a great solution either. The whole point of having the team is so that everyone can access common data on the team space. Doing that would put some of the common data in the individual team member folders. I'd rather have it all in the team space.

Dropboxer

I completely understand that teams want to have team stuff in their team space. Sounds funny but I can't find another way to phrase this. smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes (team-team-team) 

The folder we are talking about though, is  created by a non team member, so as explained, there are safeguards to protect the owner's privacy. If the owner doesn't take action, as suggested the folder cannot be moved in a Team location. Data security is the barrier here. 

If the folder is shared with all of you, you will all have access, like team folders. The only difference is that the folder location will be in each members purple folder. 

I hope this clarifies matters. Thank you for your feedback @chrismcfarling

Fiona

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Move shared folder from my team member folder to team space
5 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey