Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Moved files, still indexing 3 days later.

Explorer | Level 4

Hi folks, 

I recently re-organised my dropbox folder structure to make it less chaotic and I'm still syncing and indexing three days later. I've read elsewhere that anything over 300,000 files dropbox struggles with?  While I'm not uploading that amount at all, more than that number of individual (tiny) files certainly have moved. When I look at dropbox.com, I can see that slowly but surely, the files are being re-organised to match my local folder structure. Very slowly. 

With my ISP I've a ping of 10ms, up of 26Mbps down of 8Mbps and I'm running dropbox v78.4.119.

Anything I can do to speed up the process? 

Thanks,
Dan

PS: I've changed bandwith settings and investigated any Symlink issues already. I've been afraid of unlinking and linking incase it send me back 3 days! 

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 9.06.35 am.png

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: Moved files, still indexing 3 days later.

Dropboxer

Hey there @dan-d-lion,

In general, the Dropbox desktop app canonly upload and download as fast as your ISP allows. As you mention as well, you can improve the syncing speed by manually changing the bandwidth-usage settings from the desktop app's Preferences.

Additionally, from what I can see from your screenshot, the desktop app is trying to sync more than one million files. Although having 300,000 files is a soft limit that depends on your computer's hardware specifications, attempting to or syncing more than that can result in various issues, such as high CPU usage. 

Having said that, I'd also recommend checking this article out for some more ideas on how to resolve this. 

Hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Hey Lusil, 

Thanks for the quick reply. 

I've no CPU issues really, occasional overheating, but only for a few mins at a time.

All files were already synced and uploaded, and 95%+ are online only.  I just re-organised them. So I'm also not sure why it says it's uploading so many files as everything was already uploaded. This is a new machine and I only recently sycned everything down as offline only, so there's nothing local to upload really? Activity monitor seems to confirm there's not much going on at all. (see screenshot)

Is it normal for 3+ days of indexing after moving already synced and uploaded files around? Beyond the links you shared, is there anything I can do? At this pace it looks like it will take a month :( 

Thanks,
Dan

Screen Shot 2019-08-07 at 10.47.00 am.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @dan-d-lion.

If you've placed for those one million files to be Smart Synced as online-only, then a placeholder will have to be created for every file so as to not take up space on your computer. 

Although the files may not be large, they are numerous, so the app is trying to index the information and it can take time.

I understand that this doesn't offer much of a resolution, but I do hope it helps. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Advanced Collaborator | Level 16

Hi @dan-d-lion,

That's very old issue Dropbox has. Even though move operation is generic one, Dropbox application count it as copy-paste operations pair! Of course, this generate a lot of network traffic and so many syncs (more than million). Would be fine some day this to be fixed from Dropbox (many other users have similar troubles), but till now it's so still. Some workaround is while you intent such reorganizations (in future), make the corresponding moves (on already uploaded files/folders) using Dropbox site, instead locally. This will make thing more simple and will decrease the network traffic (at least twice).

One more voice (current case is a one more example): As a feature request - would be fine if move operation be handled as independent one (not pair). A properly organized idea and realized (coded) in application, such a operation (reorganization - like here) will finish in seconds (at most few minutes) - almost independent of content size (only metadata have to be exchanged and only to actually moved entities - not recursively)!

Have a great day. winking face

Explorer | Level 4

Hey, 

Thanks for the info.

Wish I had of know before I moved everything into a new folder loudly crying face
Only 800,000 files to go! 

D

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Moved files, still indexing 3 days later.
5 Replies
2 Likes
Solved! : See solution