cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving 500GB+ files between Dropbox accounts

Moving 500GB+ files between Dropbox accounts

hellosigit
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

How do I seamlessly move 500GB+ files between 2 Dropbox accounts? FYI, I have Business account on the origin account and Enterprise on the destination account, so 500GB can fit. 

I tried sharing folders (have to do it one by one as if the folder has too many files or too big in size, even sharing failed), they got shared, but moving/copying the files to the new account failed because I simply have too many files/too big of a size.

I also tried syncing with desktop application, but my harddisk simply doesn't have 500GB free space and it takes years to download/sync, even with selective sync (one by one folder).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey hellosigit, welcome aboard to Dropbox Community!

What I would suggest is, you create a new shared folder that is empty and share the folder between both accounts. Then move the files in smaller batches to that folder, let it finish moving and then repeat until you are done with all the files. When all files have moved change ownership of the shared folder to the Enterprise account. Lastly, log in to the other Business account and remove the original plan.

Let me know if this helps! 🙂 

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey hellosigit, welcome aboard to Dropbox Community!

What I would suggest is, you create a new shared folder that is empty and share the folder between both accounts. Then move the files in smaller batches to that folder, let it finish moving and then repeat until you are done with all the files. When all files have moved change ownership of the shared folder to the Enterprise account. Lastly, log in to the other Business account and remove the original plan.

Let me know if this helps! 🙂 

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

simon-sharman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi DropBox, I think the original question was about a single file that is larger than 500Gig; perhaps a large .psb or video render. In my case I want to archive many files including large files from one account to another account. The source folder to move might be 2TB and I need to move it out of the way. thanks Simon

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The original question was actually referring to large folders, not single files. They mention having to share them one at a time as trying to do so with folders that are too large or have too many files was failing.

The only way to move files between accounts is by sharing a folder between them, and then moving the files into the new folder, waiting for them to sync, and then moving them out of the shared folder on the other account. If you're moving 2TB of data, each account will need to have 2TB of available space in order to share the full content.

lacalladine
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is crazy talk if you have content in folders that exceeds the folder share limit (as I have).

Surprised that DB don't have a "Data transfer tool"

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

lacalladine New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    simon-sharman New member | Level 2
    Norah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?