Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Moving FileThis files to another Folder

New member | Level 2

I use the FileThis website to retrieve finanancial documents and file them in Dropbox.  A folder named "Apps" with a sub-folder named "FileThis" with Sub-folders for each account were created in Dropbox.  I would like to change the folders being used. Is there a way to set it up so that the files go to a different folder than they are currently going?

Thanks in advance for any help. 

4 Replies

Re: Moving FileThis files to another Folder

Super User II

When third-party apps request access to your Dropbox they have two options available to them in the Dropbox API; app folder or full access. Applications that are written with app folder access can only access their own folder within the App folder of your account. Since that's the folder currently being used, it's unlikely that the app has access to any other part of your Dropbox.

You'll need to reach out to the developer of FileThis to be sure (since they're the ones that decide that), but it's doubtful you'll be able to move it to a different folder.

New member | Level 2

Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't move them within Dropbox after FileThis has uploaded them to it's folder?

Super User II

I can't answer that as I'm not familiar with how FileThis works. All I can say is that if there's a third-party app that accesses files in an App folder, and you move those files out of the folder, the app will no longer be able to access those files. What consequences you have as a result would depend on the app.

You'll get a better answer if you ask the FileThis developers.

New member | Level 2

Thanks. Understand

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Moving FileThis files to another Folder
4 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post