cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving a file is creating a copy in the original folder

Moving a file is creating a copy in the original folder

Niccodemure
Explorer | Level 4

Morning
-When moving a file to another folder (sub or otherwise) The moved file will repopulate to it's original location, thus creating a copy.
-The file repopulates within minutes or within a couple hours
-I have also sat and watched as 10 files just came back after moving them
-Drag and drop as well as cut and paste both tried.

Any help would be appreciated

35 Replies 35

JG2019
Helpful | Level 5

Daphne,

Unfortunately your response does not help or clarify matters.  This problem started a couple of months ago.  Before then and with the same computer setups, files were never duplicated like they are today.  I would also like to add that if the files are deleted from Dropbox on the Web, then no duplications occur.  Therefore, your reasoning that the file is being accessed by a third party program or that it is open does not make sense.  I will be opening a support ticket to have the problem solved as soon as possible. 

Harjo1
New member | Level 2

Hi,

Our office is experiencing the same problem.  Alot of the responses from Dbox seem unhelpful so far.  For the record, this very recently starting happening to most of our office and we have not made any major changes, same computers etc.  

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

I understand that this is a new occurrence for you and your team @JG2019, I'd be more than happy to help look further into this with some more specific info.

If you'd like, I can create a ticket for you to the email linked with your profile and I can follow up with the investigation with you there.

Otherwise, you can create a ticket here and let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) and I can pass along all the info you've provided here.

@Harjo1, would you mind just checking my previous post here and letting me know what you find?

Also, it seems you've already contacted our Support team. Would you mind letting me know the ticket number that you have so I can have a look there?

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

WhoDeyDiesel
Explorer | Level 4

My company and I are also experiencing this same issue recently!  It is maddening! Have you had any help from drobbox support on this since you submitted a ticket?  I am currently submitting a ticket as well on this issue.  I am restructuring many folders/subfolders/files and this issue is driving me nuts.  I love dropbox for business and have never experienced this before a few weeks ago.

JG2019
Helpful | Level 5

WhoDeyDiesel - No help from Dropbox support, but what has seemed to help quite a bit was turning off the system extension responsible for Smart Sync.  It seems to be more trouble than it is worth.  

WhoDeyDiesel
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for your quick response!  I submitted a ticket with dropbox, gave them a ton of detail and even recorded a video of the event happening with folders and files of mine.  Hopefully, a solution will be found that doesn't require deactivating features of the dropbox desktop app.  I will keep you informed if I find anything out.

Need more support?