cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving a file is creating a copy in the original folder

Moving a file is creating a copy in the original folder

Niccodemure
Explorer | Level 4

Morning
-When moving a file to another folder (sub or otherwise) The moved file will repopulate to it's original location, thus creating a copy.
-The file repopulates within minutes or within a couple hours
-I have also sat and watched as 10 files just came back after moving them
-Drag and drop as well as cut and paste both tried.

Any help would be appreciated

35 Replies 35

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hello @Niccodemure - how are you today?

Just to make sure we're on the same page, could you clarify if you're working on the website or on your Dropbox Folder on your computer, thus utilizing the desktop app?

If the former one, do you notice the same behavior on other browsers, after clearing your browser's cache and/or an incognito window with no extensions or plugins running?

If the latter, can you send me a screenshot of the exact status of the app when performing those actions along with a brief description of its behavior while syncing those changes?

In addition, do those files happen to be inside a shared folder and may be in use when performing those actions? Can you grab a sample file from those and check its version history to see if it's coming back from another device of yours or another user?

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Niccodemure
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your reply,

With some diggin it seems as though we have a program or App running on one of our users computers that is locking down files. So when that computer tries to sync it cuses the file to be repopulated. 
It will take some time but we will need to figure out which one.

Thanks

whiteboardmagic
New member | Level 2

Were you able to find a solution to this issue? We are experiencing the same thing and have been for about a month now. Thanks 

areynoso
Explorer | Level 4

I too am having the same issue. Please let me know if there is anything we can do to fix this.

I was told by customer service to quit Drop Box on my task bar because I use the Drop Box folders on my computer vs the website to see if the duplicates continue. Once I quit dropbox (which stops your syncing) the files did not continue to repopulate. This determines if it is a computer issue or a Dropbox issue. There has not been a solution just yet on this issue for me. 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @areynoso; sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you please clarify if you're indeed moving those files or copying them for me?

Also, did you get the chance to check my other suggestions a few posts above yours in this very same thread? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

areynoso
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for responding Walter, I normally drag and drop but when I started to see that the files and folders would cause duplicates I decided to try cutting and pasting but with both strategies they caused the same issue unfortunately. 

I did read your comment above and I addressed that I am using Dropbox on my computer via folders, and when these duplicates form the dropbox icon status on my task bar shows "Up to date".

You mentioned: Do files happen to be inside a shared folder and may be in use when performing those actions? (Yes they are in shared folders and could possibly be in use while performing these actions but RARE) Can you grab a sample file from those and check its version history to see if it's coming back from another device of yours or another user? (Anytime the duplicates appear I delete the files). 

areynoso
Explorer | Level 4

This is what the version history shows of a file that was duplicated. I moved the file into a folder and it is saying that I deleted it and then my colleague Jon Bykerk  "Edited" it at 10:28 am which is not the case but rather a duplicate appeared.This is what the version history shows of a file that was duplicated. I moved the file into a folder and it is saying that I deleted it and then my colleague Jon Bykerk "Edited" it at 10:28 am which is not the case but rather a duplicate appeared.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

In this case, could you have your colleague Jon delete this file (and any other affected ones) from his computer too @areynoso?

Let me know how it goes!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

areynoso
Explorer | Level 4

Walter, yes he can delete these files as well but that isn't solving the issue necessarily. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

WhoDeyDiesel Explorer | Level 4
    JG2019 Helpful | Level 5
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Harjo1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?