cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving one folder to another folder....all within Dropbox

Moving one folder to another folder....all within Dropbox

BuyingHomes2Day
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This should be a no-brainer. But all the directions within Dropbox don't seem to work. I'm just trying to move a folder I already have in Dropbox to another folder that i have in Dropbox. Geeeez if i can figure it out! Thank you for anyone helping!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @BuyingHomes2Day, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Moving a shared folder into another shared folder is only allowed within Business team folders. 

If you're the owner of the shared folder, which you can find with the steps here, you can unshare the folder you're trying to move and then you should be able to move the folder.

You'll only be able to do this if you're the owner of the shared folder and please bear in mind that this will be visible to those who have access to the destination shared folder.

If you're not the owner of these shared folders though, I'm afraid that you won't be able to move the folder. If you need to add the content to the destination folder then you'll only be able to make a copy of the folder that you want to move.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If you're doing this within the Dropbox folder on your computer, you just move the fodler as you would any other file or folder. The Dropbox folder is just a regular folder. You manage its content as you would any other folder on your computer.

If you're working on the Dropbox website, just click the ellipsis (three dots) to the right of a folder and select Move. In the window that appears, navigate to the folder you want to move to, select it and click Move.

BuyingHomes2Day
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Rich,

Thank you for responding. See attachment. I do not have the ellipsis to the right of my folders. Really weird. I do have the ellipsis in the upper right of the folder as it appears to the right. But when i click that, it does not give me a "move folder" option. Thanks again for helpingEdited by moderatorEdited by moderator

BuyingHomes2Day
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

When i try to drag and drop a folder into another folder (all witihn Dropbox), i get an error message that says "Shared folders can't be moved into other shared folders". Anyone have a solution for this? Thank you!

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @BuyingHomes2Day, I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this!

Moving a shared folder into another shared folder is only allowed within Business team folders. 

If you're the owner of the shared folder, which you can find with the steps here, you can unshare the folder you're trying to move and then you should be able to move the folder.

You'll only be able to do this if you're the owner of the shared folder and please bear in mind that this will be visible to those who have access to the destination shared folder.

If you're not the owner of these shared folders though, I'm afraid that you won't be able to move the folder. If you need to add the content to the destination folder then you'll only be able to make a copy of the folder that you want to move.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    BuyingHomes2Day Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?