cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Moving rows and columns in tables

Moving rows and columns in tables

Andrei L.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Now it is impossible to move rows or columns in a table.

The shortcut ctrl+shift+up/down does not work on tables for moving rows (it works on usual paragraphs). Actually a more standard shortcut is shift+alt+up/down (not sure why you have chosen ctrl instead of alt) -- I think it is better because ctrl is usually used for selection.

The most important feature is moving rows. At least by using keyboard shortcut: ctrl+shift+up/down (or alt).

Second priority is moving columns. At least by using keyboard shortcut: ctrl+shift+left/right  (or alt).

Alternatively using drag&drop (I personally like keyboard shortcuts).

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Andrei L.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

BTW, a little bit more testing showed that you have a cosmetic bug right now in tables.

How to reproduce:

1) create table

2) in one of the cells enter three lines of text

3) place cursor to the third line

4) press ctrl+shift+up or down multiple times

ER: consistent behaviour: whether selection or moving of text lines happens

AR: inconsistent behavior: both actions are triggered: selection and move of lines

So, basically, moving text lines conflicts with moving rows in table. Different tools handle this differently:

Microsoft Word: alt+shift+up/down will move rows in table (not text lines within same row)

Microsoft OneNote: (THE BEST) they are very intellectual. If you select first line of text in a table row and press alt+shift+up, then the whole row is moved. If you select not first line of text --- then this line of text first will be moved within row and when it becomes the first, then the whole row starts to move. In general Microsoft OneNote is very nice and stable tool which I recommend to take into account. Just imagine how many throusands of man-years Microsoft has spent on conceptualization and stabilization of OneNote. Re-use it aggressively!

Google Document: (buggy) moves lines of texts only (never rows), and when line is the last in the row then it starts to travel to next column (not row!!), and sometimes it results in very buggy behaviour like damaging the table (few times it even damaged the document and I had to restore older version). So dont use alt+shift+up/down in tables of google document.

Atlassian Confluence: it does not support alt+shift+up/down. This shortcut in table inserts empty rows. However they have a special shortcut for cut and paste rows in table. I use it for reorganizing rows in table. Not very nice, but better than nothing.

View solution in original post

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Andrei L.2,

We really appreciate your detailed feedback and updates on this, definately passing it on to the Paper team!

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Andrei L.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

BTW, a little bit more testing showed that you have a cosmetic bug right now in tables.

How to reproduce:

1) create table

2) in one of the cells enter three lines of text

3) place cursor to the third line

4) press ctrl+shift+up or down multiple times

ER: consistent behaviour: whether selection or moving of text lines happens

AR: inconsistent behavior: both actions are triggered: selection and move of lines

So, basically, moving text lines conflicts with moving rows in table. Different tools handle this differently:

Microsoft Word: alt+shift+up/down will move rows in table (not text lines within same row)

Microsoft OneNote: (THE BEST) they are very intellectual. If you select first line of text in a table row and press alt+shift+up, then the whole row is moved. If you select not first line of text --- then this line of text first will be moved within row and when it becomes the first, then the whole row starts to move. In general Microsoft OneNote is very nice and stable tool which I recommend to take into account. Just imagine how many throusands of man-years Microsoft has spent on conceptualization and stabilization of OneNote. Re-use it aggressively!

Google Document: (buggy) moves lines of texts only (never rows), and when line is the last in the row then it starts to travel to next column (not row!!), and sometimes it results in very buggy behaviour like damaging the table (few times it even damaged the document and I had to restore older version). So dont use alt+shift+up/down in tables of google document.

Atlassian Confluence: it does not support alt+shift+up/down. This shortcut in table inserts empty rows. However they have a special shortcut for cut and paste rows in table. I use it for reorganizing rows in table. Not very nice, but better than nothing.

Simon L.14
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yep, That would be a really handy feature 🙂 +1 for Andrei L.

bjornsyse
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agress, OneNote really has an exemplary solution to this. 

Zed
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello @Andrei L.2,

We really appreciate your detailed feedback and updates on this, definately passing it on to the Paper team!

Thank you!

Zed
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Need more support?