cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

My Dropbox is stuck syncing 185,396 files for about four days now.

Helpful | Level 5

I have been back and forth with online Dropbox support about this already with no result.

Support has suggested unlinking as many "Selective Synced" folders as possible and letting things resume. When I do this, the number of files syncing goes down, but then syncing just stops again at a new number and won't move.

I should mention that this problem seemed to suddenly occur when my primary hard drive became full (where dropbox databases are stored). I immediately cleared space, but I wonder if somehow something has become corrupted?

Any ideas would be appreciated, I have been unable to work effectively with my team since the problem began and am becoming extrmemly frustrated.

I am dreading the old suggestion to "unlink and relink" everything, because our team has around 500,000 files and I know from previous experience that doing that would put me out of action for almost a week to sync.

Thanks

12 Replies

Re: My Dropbox is stuck syncing 185,396 files for about four days now.

Dropboxer

Hi @WhiteRabbit 🐰. 

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. 

I located your chat and call communication with our support team. I see the case that was escalated today to another level of support. 

This means that you will get more advanced troubleshooting steps to fix your issue. Going through your case, I realise that you have already tried all the basic troubleshooting steps with the first level of support. 

I cannot provide the following steps via the Community at this point, but you are in good hands and I also added a note to your escalated case to raise the priority.  

Hope we get this resolved really soon for you. 

Thank you for your patience! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for the reply Fiona!

Hope we can resolve this quickly indeed.

Really appreciate the follow-up.

Explorer | Level 4

I had a similar problem several times. The dropbox can become fairly slow, if the disk space becomes low, and then I need to restart the PC and sometimes to even start the dropbox manually.

New member | Level 2

Based on my experience Dropbox is not really the best tool when you start to get a large amount of files. We have a couple of million files (I beleive, not so easy to check) on our dropbox and it is getting rather useless now.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you, Hellvijohan. Do you perhaps know of better tools when working with a large number of files? Could you advise?

New member | Level 2

Unfortunately I do not have any suggestion at the moment.

My best advice, if you have already invested much in using dropbox and you have control over the data generation and data consuming process, is to design it to use large and few files. In our usecase we could have reduced the pain a lot that way, which would have been an easy choice if we had known that dropbox had this silent upper limit of files to work properly.

When things started to get slow we had built so much tooling around this way of using dropbox so it is a pain to switch now. Probably we will move to S3, since we have high flexibility regarding data creation and retrieval.

Helpful | Level 5

I agree that the solution is to reduce the amount of files significantly, which is a real shame as that is not entirely possible with our workflow.

I also was unaware that this limit existed and was already too commited to Dropbox when the problem became apparent.

Dropbox is a great tool and when it works - it works really well, but when it has problems, they are catastrophic for our team due to the downtime it creates.

Working in print and media we have strict deadlines that cannot be missed and we can't afford a team member to just randomly go offline for an indeterminable period.

New member | Level 2

Same problem here, It's been a week already. We are stuck with Syncing # files 2+ days.
Always 2+ days. We have good internet connection, I already tried Fix Hardlinks and Fix Permissions.

We have 3 instances of our DB file server in different locations and they're all havin gthe same issue.

Helpful | Level 5

Yep, I have the 2+ days estimation too. This is now getting on to my 6th day. I have also tried the Fix Hardlinks and Fix Permissions.

I have also unlinked and re-linked my account with no change.

Thankfully I am able to work in a reduced capacity by using the "Sync Now" function on specific files through windows explorer, but this is hardly ideal.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

12 Replies
4 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post