Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

My boss has sent me a shared link that wouldn't open when clicking on it. What can I do?

New member | Level 2

Hello, I am recently having issues opening a dropbox link from my boss through email. I was able to open and download these files in the past with no problem.  I get no error message, it just does nothing when I click on it.  Other people copied in the same email are able to open it.  Thanks!

Tags (1)
3 Replies

Re: email links

Dropboxer
Hey @wibis, I’m here to help! 

Quick guess: Maybe your boss has pasted it on the email chain using Ctrl+Shift+V? Does the shared link appear as blue or are you just seeing the text? 

Have you by any chance tried copying the text & pasting it on a new browsing window? 

I hope my pointers help; please let me know how you get on!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

@Jane, thank you for your reply.

The link is blue in the email and turns a pink color when I click on it but nothing happens. I have tried pasting to a browser window and it goes to the dropbox main site.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the extra details & apologies for the slight delay @wibis

• Is it possible that they’ve sent you the .url they’re seeing in their browser instead of the shared link?
  • Maybe your colleagues accessing the shared link are seeing the content because they can access the parent folder?
Please let me know if either of these scenarios applies. Thanks again!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My boss has sent me a shared link that wouldn't open when clicking on it. What can I do?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post