Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

My desktop app keeps quitting unexpectedly

Explorer | Level 3

This message started popping up since last week. Any effort to restart Dropbox would trigger the same message after about 30 minutes. I ignored it for a few days, but Dropbox was no longer syncing anything which started to get dangerous. I've tried to downgrade to version 82.x and 83.x, to no avail, the software auto updates. The app says "Syncing". However, clicking the arrow next to it shows a blank window. In some cases it showed "Checking for updates". Out of desperation I've relinked my account and started to reupload all my files and let this run over night. In the morning it appeared the app crashed again and I currently have no clue how many files were actually uploaded, so I'll likely have to start over from scratch. I've copied all my files into a separate folder and let Dropbox only sync the files in the Dropbox root. I did so by selecting no folders in Selective Sync. As it stands the app keeps saying "Syncing", but nothing appears to be happening. After using Dropbox without much issue for 4 years, this is driving me nuts. Perhaps my Dropbox storage contains too many files (2mil at 500gb), but I'm not willing to delete everything and slowly try to find out where the actual limit is. What could be done about this?

Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Dropbox quit unexpecditly

Dropboxer

Hi there @Jonny10, thanks for checking in with us about this. 

At first, I wanted to ensure that you have the stable version of the desktop app (83.4.152) installed by hovering over your Dropbox icon

If you find that you have xx.3.xx (which is the beta vesion), I'd recommend installing the latest stable one after checking that you don't have the Include me in early releases option online in your General tab

If you have the stable version already running on your computer, could you temporarily disable your antivirus and ensure that you've configured your firewall to work with Dropbox? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

I had meanwhile managed to restore functionality by moving all my files out of Dropbox then re-uploading everything bit by bit. It seems, when trying to upload too many files the application crashes after some time.

Though, two days ago I opened a Unity project. Which prompted the creation of temporary files. I failed to notice this and wasn't able to set up Selective Sync to exclude these folders.

Dropbox now tries to upload about 300k files and the issue has returned. I've deleted the temporary files, but the application cannot seem to process these changes.

Is there some way to nudge the application into place, to cancel these operations and "re-evalate" what actually needs syncing?

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me, @Jonny10

At first, I wanted to mention that the performance of the desktop app can decline if you have more than 300,000 files working in your Dropbox folder. However, this is a soft limit that heavily depends on the specifications of your computer. 

Also, please note that the application you're using may create temporary files which are necessary for its processes. Selectively syncing those files may cause syncing issues due to their nature and/or the third party app may generate further files to fill in the broken pathways caused by selective sync.

In any case, what you can try is to quit or pause the Dropbox desktop app before running the relevant software and, once you're done working on the files, re-launch it again.

Let me know of any updates!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your help, Lusil!

In the past I managed to get away with 1.5mil files, this does incur a high CPU load, but never got in the way of anything, fortunately. I try to keep this in check by using Selective Sync.

In the case of Unity, whenever a project is opened, a Library folder will be generated, containing a large amount of small files (a few kilobytes). I always make sure to exclude these folders from syncing, since the files are non-esential and can be regenerated locally on other computers. I may have to keep Unity projects out of Dropbox, because as you said, selective sync can cause issues with this.

The issue I'm faced with now is that I have no control over what Dropbox is currently trying to do. The application will stay on "Starting" for about an hour, then crash. This includes not being able to edit selective sync settings.

Dropboxer

Hmm. thinking face You can try quitting the desktop app, moving folders that haven't synced yet or folders that you don't need in your account outside of the Dropbox folder, and relaunching the desktop app. 

This should allow you to keep the folders you moved locally on your computer and ease the load on the syncing process. 

Once you do this, give it some time to index for the changes and let me know if the behavior persists. Thanks, @Jonny10!

Lusil

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the tip! I have moved several folders out of the Dropbox folder which now counts 250k files. Unfortunately the problem persists, after a bit of time the message pops up and the application restarts.

Last time I was stuck on this issue I went as far as to clear out my Dropbox folder entirely, but I fear removing more files will only increase the indexing load further, which the application already can't keep up with. 

I want to avoid having to resort to setting up Dropbox again, and cherrypick the up-to-date files (online storage is now a week out of date). This is painstacking work and took me several days last time.

Dropboxer

Thanks for troubleshooting so far with me, @Jonny10 - awesome work!

I've sent you a ticket to the email address connected to your Community profile so that we can have a better look into this together. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox and we'll take it from there. 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My desktop app keeps quitting unexpectedly
7 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post