Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

My desktop app keeps re-syncing my entire Dropbox folder on multiple devices, why is that?

Explorer | Level 3

Every once in a while (like once a month or so) dropbox will re-sync my entire file from the cloud to my harddrive. This is thousands of files. 

So on Aug 8th, it did it on my home laptop. Then on Aug 9th, it did it to my office desktop.

Now its Aug 10th and it's re-doing my home laptop again. 

When it happens once a month its not too bad. But this is going to get old if its daily.  It takes a few hours and that means that some files might not be up to date and I need them. I work in Real Estate and documents need to be available to me and my files needs to be up to date. Why is this happening? Can I do something about it? 

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies

Re: Syncing

Super User II

Are you using Dropbox on external or USB drives at all?

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

No, not using anything external. 

Also yesterday I notice the icon on the bottom of my screen called it "indexing". I don't know if that's differnt from syncing...

Thanks

Highlighted

Super User II

Index is just checking all files for changes. It does that on every boot up

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3

So now I'm at my office desktop and its "downloading" over 20,000 files. I did not add 20,000 to my home laptop over the weekend, so why is this happening. 

Whether they are downloading, indexing, or syncing... this is a problem. I almost need to come to work an hour early and just drink coffee while I watch it go thru this process EVERY day, holding me up from accessing lots of files. 

Update: its now downloading 30,000 files

Update again: its been 5 hrs and we still have 18,000 files to go. Its hard to work in real estate when it takes 7+ hrs for your documents up update. 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My desktop app keeps re-syncing my entire Dropbox folder on multiple devices, why is that?
4 Replies
0 Likes