cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

My excel spreadsheet didn't save back to Dropbox after my edits.

New member | Level 2

I created an excel spreadsheet add a few sheets of data then saved the file in dropbox.

I continued to work on the file for 2 hrs saving along the way.

I closed the document; then opened it to grab a figure, only to find it was in the original state I had named and saved it.

2hrs of work lost!

What did i do wrong?

I am a new user to dropbox.

Thanks for any advice.

Tags (2)
18 Replies

Re: File didn't save

Dropboxer
Hey Fozzie, welcome to Dropbox & sorry to hear about your missing content, let’s have a look at the possible causes together & we’ll take it from there. 

I’d like to follow-up a bit more closely with you & for that reason I'll ask you a couple of questions to track back on the course of events, in order to send you the most relevant next steps. 

#1. As an initial point of reference, can you let me know whether you’ve been working on your desktop/ online or on your phone? Also, which application did you use to edit your spreadsheet? 

#2. Assuming that there wasn’t an underlying syncing or connectivity issue, please note that you could monitor the file’s activity by looking on the file’s Version History, so as to locate when the edits were made & whether everything has been properly saved back on Dropbox. What do you see there? 

Once I have this info, I’ll make sure to focus on the issue in question on this discussion. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting on the matter!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

i was working on my Desktop Mac.

i created a workbook with a few sheets of data; then named and saved it to dropbox.

Then continued to work on it adding new sheets etc saving it every so often.  I looked at version history and it only had the sheet at the point in time i first created and saved it.

When i closed the document it didn't ask me to save (as excel does if you haven't saved after making a change)

Then when i opened it to check a figure; that's when i knew it hadn't saved.

Thanks

Tanya

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for all the additional details you gathered for me on this discussion here Tanya (@Fozzie), I appreciate it a lot!

As you’ve mentioned that you haven’t been able to see your latest updates on the file’s version history, I’d suspect an underlying syncing issue, though can you let me know whether you can the latest updated version through your recent workbooks within excel? Also, did you save your spreadsheets to Dropbox using the option within excel that (D L.5) mentioned here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Syncing-and-uploads/How-to-autosave-an-excel-file-to-Dropbox-every-1...

If I were in your shoes Tanya, I’d also check on the file’s syncing status. Did you by any chance check back on the Dropbox syncing icons on your desktop when you noticed this discrepancyArrows Counter Clock/ White check mark

Please do keep me updated on your findings here & I’ll make sure to check back with you a bit more closely. Thanks again for your cooperation! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

This is so frustrating !!!! I have the same issue. I even renamed the file and it saved it.  I have the syncing icon.  how can i get my file back ? and how can i stop the syncing icon this continues to cause issues for me. I dont want anything synced 

Dropboxer

Hey there (@NapervilleRoofs), apologies for getting back in touch with you in delay & sorry to hear about any frustration caused. I'm merely checking back on whether you've made any progress on this matter; have you been able to resolve this concern on your end? Please do let me know on this discussion & I’ll make sure to follow-up with you asap!

Jane

New member | Level 2

Hello,

My problem mirrors Fozzie, pretty much exactly. Version history only shows the version before I made the edits.

Working off latest version of OSX, Macbook 2018.

So annoying!

Dropboxer
Hey there (@doly), I understand that being unable to diagnose the root cause of missing content can be frustrating, though rest assured that I’m here to address your concerns in any way I can. 

For that reason, I’d like to take it from the info you’ve sent me here. As you’ve mentioned that version history goes back to an earlier point in time, I’m wondering if you’ve had a chance to check for the pointers I had included for Tanya (Fozzie) above. In other words, can you check whether Dropbox is syncing correctly on your system tray/menu bar & all syncing icons are loading as expected Arrows Counter Clock/White check mark

Please do let me know how you get on with these initial checks on this discussion & I’ll make sure to look into that in more detail. Thanks in advance! 

Jane

New member | Level 2

Hi - I have just been experiencing exactly the same problems, except with a Microsoft Word document. Was working on it until 6pm yesterday, continually saving along the way. Connected to the internet the entire time; Dropbox seemed like it was syncing correctly (and indeed, it synced other files I saved during that time to the same folder). This morning I open the document only to find it was the version saved at 1pm, thus losing 5 hours of work. Version control on the Dropbox website shows no record of any later saved files. Also no record of it on my local computer.

Very frustrating! I am using a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10, and have never had this problem before.

Dropboxer

Hey Julia (@JuliaAus), sorry to hear that; I’m wondering if you’re using the latest Office version & whether you Saved your file locally inside Dropbox folder manually. As you mentioned that other files synced online as expected, it makes me think that there was an issue with that particular file. Did  you manage to save it as expected the second time you updated it? Please let me know & I’ll do my best to dig a bit deeper with you! 

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My excel spreadsheet didn't save back to Dropbox after my edits.
18 Replies
3 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post