cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

My friend borrowed my old phone and put in her SIM card - now I'm uploading all her photos

New member | Level 2

How can I stop my dropbox from keep uploading all of my friends photos from years back, after she borrowed my old phone. She put in her SIM card, only used it for calls. She only used it for one day, and say's she never used any of my apps, and never took any photos or used dropbox. How can I stop my dropbox from uploading? I don't even understand how this can happen. As soon as I remove 250 pictures, new pictures are uploading, filling my dropbox. I don't know how to disconnect this phone from my dropbox, I can't find this phone in my account.  Any suggestions?

5 Replies

Re: My friend borrowed my old phone and put in her SIM card - now I'm uploading all her photos

Dropboxer

Hey there @LottaR  - sorry to hear about this. 

It sounds like you (or your friend) somehow enabled the automatic camera uploads feature. Can you check your account's Security tab from the following page and remove any unknown devices by clicking the 'X' next to their names?

If needed indeed, you can disable the camera uploads as outlined in this Help Center article: https://help.dropbox.com/photos-videos/camera-uploads-overview

If you're seeing this on a computer  (and on your desktop app), you can change your import preferences from the Dropbox application. To do this, follow these instructions:

A. On a Mac:

• Click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar at the top of the screen and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel.
• Choose "Preferences".
• Go to the "Import" tab.
• Uncheck the "Enable camera uploads for".

B. On a Windows computer: 

• Click the Dropbox icon in the system tray at the bottom right of your screen and then click on the gear in the Notifications panel.
• Select "Preferences".
• In the window that appears, click on "Change AutoPlay Settings".
• In the AutoPlay settings, scroll down and choose the camera you want to change settings for. It will likely have "Import pictures and video using Dropbox" as the default.
• Click on the drop-down menu and choose "Ask me every time" or choose a different application for importing.

Let me know if you have any problems with this, or if you need anything else.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: My friend borrowed my old phone and put in her SIM card - now I'm uploading all her photos

New member | Level 2

The problem is that I can't find that old phone in either of these lists of devices. Only my current phone, camera etc. That phone is not listed at all, and apart from her using it the other day, it has not been used for months.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift response!

Could you now go to your Events page and see how these changes are logged in our system Lotta? From there, you should be able to see from where these uploads are initiated and cross-check it with your account's Security page to see where the discrepancy lies. 

The Events page at https://www.dropbox.com/events gives you an overview of all activity in your account including files events (adds/edits/deletes), as well as adding or removing shared folders.

The page allows you to choose a specific date and/or a specific shared folders to drill down into. 

If you would like to know more about a specific event, you can click on the blue link to open the event details page.

If you stumble upon an issue while doing this, please let me know and I'll reach out via email to your Dropbox associated address so we can work on this together with all of my tools at my disposal. 

Alternatively, you can log a ticket from your end through the following page:

https://www.dropbox.com/support

Thanks!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Thanks for trying to help, Walter. I appreciate the swift replies and the effort! On the events page, all I can see is what date photos were uploaded or deleted etc. Not from where or how. I gave up, and I have now manually deleted her photos (some 1000). Fortunately, and also a bit strange, all her photos were from 2017-2018, no newer ones. It was not so hard to avoid deleting my own photos, as I didn't have so many older ones. So, problem kind of manually solved. But I really hope they will not suddenly come back! The old phone has been returned to me and is turned off. Have a nice evening!

Dropboxer

Glad to hear you managed to resolve your concern in the end Lotta. Should an issue arise in the future, please let me know!

In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your evening and have a lovely weekend too!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My friend borrowed my old phone and put in her SIM card - now I'm uploading all her photos
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post