Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Highlighted

My search results disappear after some time

RJL
Helpful | Level 6

When search files on DropBox the results disappear after a few minutes.  This happens in both the desktop app and DropBox in the browser.

I often search file folders in DropBox using a specific word in Windows File Manager.  Results are displayed, then after a few minutes, the File Manager disappears, as though I had closed File Manager.  The same thing happens when perform the search via DropBox in a browser.

I am using Windows 10 and FireFox.

Why is this happening?

3 Replies

Re: Search results disappear

Dropboxer
Hey there (@RJL), that sounds odd, as you’ve mentioned that you’re seeing that both on your account online & on your desktop. 

I’ll try to address the two issues separately & we’ll take it based on the results you’re getting on your end. 

More information
#1. Can you please check if that persists across browsers or through an incognito window/ in private browsing mode for you? Can you also try repeating once through a different browser/ without any extensions running & see if that amends the behavior? As an additional step, would you mind clearing your browser's cache & see if this does the trick for you this time? 

#2. Could you confirm that you’re currently searching for the files in question within the Dropbox folder on your desktop? If so, are you running the latest version of our client (70.4.93)? Also are you seeing the overlay icons on your files loading correctly ? If you pass these initial checks, then could you please try quitting the Dropbox application by clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray ➡️ & then on the gear icon in the Notifications panel & select "Quit Dropbox"? 

This will help us determine whether this is specific to Dropbox or other components in your OS. Additionally, can you clarify how many files you’ve stored within the Dropbox folder on your desktop? 
Thanks in advance for taking the time to work on that with me; I’ll be awaiting to hear how you get on with my suggestions! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

RJL
Helpful | Level 6

The problem with search results didn't reappear in Firefox and when I tried the same steps in Internet Explorer, the problem didn't occur there either.

Quitting and restarting the desktop app for DropBox also solved the problem with the search in the app.

Thanks for your help.

Dropboxer

It was a pleasure @RJL, happy to hear this we got this sorted & thanks for looping back here to let me know of the progress; I’m always around for more Dropbox tips & tricks, so feel free to post us here in the future. Take care until we talk again! 🎈

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

My search results disappear after some time
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post