Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Highlighted

Mysterious Overnight File Deletion

New member | Level 2

I noticed at 11:30am this morning that seemingly 85% of the files and folders on my Dropbox account were deleted.

The logs show that a web session, with my username, made all of the above deletions between 6:25 and 6:28am that morning. This is extremely confusing to put it mildly, as I was asleep at the time.

A check of the security logs shows no devices or IP addresses that were unknown to me. Based on the logs, I had two active web sessions (MacOS laptop, Win10 desktop), and three linked devices (MacOS laptop sync, Win10 desktop sync, iPhone app). The session that initiated the deletions came from my Win10 desktop, and was logged into my username.

I received no email notification from Dropbox about the deletions, despite the fact that I have the "file deletion email alerts" setting enabled on my account.

I've rolled back the deletions with the help of Dropbox support, so no worries about the files. But trying to figure out what in the HELL happened is driving me absolutely up the wall.

Short of sleepwalking, or a poltergeist, I have no rational explanation for how the deletions were initiated. Would love to hear from the community any insights or threads to pull on that I've missed.

I'm not in front of my desktop box right now, but I'm going to check my system logs for potential VNC sessions that were initiated overnight. Someone gaining remote access to my box, and using it to semi-randomly delete some, but not all, of my Dropbox seems implausible, but who knows?

Any other simple explanations for this that I'm missing?

1 Reply

Re: Mysterious Overnight File Deletion

Dropboxer
Hey @Schmordacus, although I can’t exactly pin-point why the deletions occurred, I’d recommend checking out this article by @Jay who proposes some ideas on the matter. 

In the meantime, I’ll keep this thread open in case any other users have further input, but if you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to get back to us. Thanks! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Mysterious Overnight File Deletion
1 Reply
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post